Thread: street illegal

Default street illegal

what makes a car street illegal, i know that stockcars and racecars are not street legal but what makes a regular car not street legal is there a cut off for horsepower engine size is there some type of criteria.

Yoda of Radar

The biggest thing with (increasing) engine size and increasing HP, normally is trying to pass emission controls which keep getting tougher and tougher (especially in places like NY and Cali)... but there are numerous things that make cars Illegal.

Get your local VAT (Vehicle and Traffic) code... it will outline all this for you.

Lead Foot

Technically not having a cat on any public road in the US is illegal, so that makes a ton of cars illegal. Noise violations by loud exhaust on other wise street legal cars is another thing. Altered safety equipment (seat belts,etc.) can be another. Non CARB approved things as well (I know cali enforces this, not sure if the law itself applies to every state and few enforce it or what). DOT tires is another. Altered suspensions. There's more things.... But really it depends on where you live if you'll be bothered. In south georgia, you can basically do anything. Most cops don't know the exact laws or what to check. Some will give a noise violation (but not many), and even fewer will give altered suspension (something like no more than 2" difference from stock height) tickets (basically you gotta really be doing something to make them mad to get that one).

Yoda of Radar

Tint %.

etc etc

There are a ton of illegal things, way to many to list.

Lead Foot

my car isn't street legal because it has no cat, loud exhaust, and no front plate.

Radar Fanatic

Not exactly news here, in my state anyway, the RTA set engine size limits on cars you where modifying. It, but don't quote me, was something like 20% from OEM. So in fact, you couldn't put a 308 or 454 in a small car, or what ever :? Party poopers
    RR

Yoda of Radar

So do they take out the plugs and fill them with water to see how big the engine is?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    So do they take out the plugs and fill them with water to see how big the engine is?
    I hope your joking SAS
    I think they can tell by the lack of leg room or why you don't have back seats in the cockpit :wink:
    RR