Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power User

Default N2O.......... worth it????

a guy on one of my Honda Forums is selling a NOS Wet shot Nitrous Oxide kit at a pretty good price............ I was wondering if it would be a good idea to NOS the CL??????

Yoda of Radar

I don't like N2O injection systems because it seems like an ungentlemanly way to increase engine power. It is also costly and easy to make the engine go pop. And ricers like it

How about bolting a nice little turbo on there :twisted:

Professional

No to NOS, spend the money on a turbo, yes the NOS is nice at first but it gets pricey and its what ultimatly destroyed my first car... a toyota Supra :x It was awsome at first but the extra engine wear isnt worth it. and refilling it....... Get a Turbo, it makes the car faster anyways. NOS isnt all what its set up to be.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    It is also costly and easy to make the engine go pop.

X2, Not a fan of that sort of thing... engines just seem to go POP to often with N20. They (engines) simply werent meant to be running and go..."hey lets dump an extra 25,50,75,100+HP through there. "

And ricers like it
    Mehhh... well they wan't it, but 99% of them you see don't have N20 because they are too scared of it... and the other 1% you don't see because they have their car in the garage because they threw a rod.

How about bolting a nice little turbo on there :twisted:
    $$$$

Just get a different car if you want to really mod it... one that has a nice base... or heck stop messing around with toys and get a real machine... a bike, nothing like running sub 3second 0-62's completely stock.

Power User

thats what I thought would happen...... thans for all the help

Yoda of Radar

What $$$. A friend of mine did a turbo conversion on his car, for about $300 Canadian. I know because I sold him the turbo OK so it was just a stock Saab Turbo setup that he put on, well, a Saab so it was relatively simple

If you know what you are doing, you can likely grab a Garrett T3 off say a 1980's Mopar K-car derivative (think Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron...) or potentially a later Mitsubishi unit (TD04?) from same. Almost all the 1980's turbo cars use T3's, both my Saab Turbos and my diesel Mercedes use T3's

Then just find a way to route the plumbing. The hard part is trying to affix it to the exhaust manifold, and then getting a supply of oil (and coolant if that is the type of turbo) to it. The downpipe is easy but you'll need to fab one up. Now you need a wastegate. Personally I'd put the max boost on the wastegate to be somewhere around 3 psi. Then use a knock-sensor based system to pull it up and down for maximum performance (like APC system). If you put too much boost engine goes pop like with nitrous.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Just get a different car if you want to really mod it... one that has a nice base... or heck stop messing around with toys and get a real machine... a bike, nothing like running sub 3second 0-62's completely stock.
    0-100 :wink:

Get a F-body that's what you want

Power User

Apparantly the Honda F-series blocks can take some punishment, theyre mostly cast iron and the cylinders are sleeved with something or another to make um stronger, ive seen stock F22s hold about 10PSI or more

Yoda of Radar

What $$$. A friend of mine did a turbo conversion on his car, for about $300 Canadian. I know because I sold him the turbo OK so it was just a stock Saab Turbo setup that he put on, well, a Saab so it was relatively simple

If you know what you are doing, you can likely grab a Garrett T3 off say a 1980's Mopar K-car derivative (think Dodge Daytona, Chrysler LeBaron...) or potentially a later Mitsubishi unit (TD04?) from same. Almost all the 1980's turbo cars use T3's, both my Saab Turbos and my diesel Mercedes use T3's

Then just find a way to route the plumbing. The hard part is trying to affix it to the exhaust manifold, and then getting a supply of oil (and coolant if that is the type of turbo) to it. The downpipe is easy but you'll need to fab one up. Now you need a wastegate. Personally I'd put the max boost on the wastegate to be somewhere around 3 psi. Then use a knock-sensor based system to pull it up and down for maximum performance (like APC system). If you put too much boost engine goes pop like with nitrous.
    Yeah, for most cars its much more complicated, plus the reliability issues that would arise after and then the time involved my oh my... its not worth it IMO.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    0-100 :wink:
    Your on an American forum, we are going to use 62.5MPH my neighbor to the North.

I do love saying some bikes have a 1:1ratio HP:Weight ... freaks people right out.