Thread: Alloy rim leak.

Experienced

Default Alloy rim leak.

Ok, I have aluminum 5 spoke alloy rims on the VW, I'm getting upset with one rim, two sets of tires and two sets of valves and still I have to put air in one tire every week. I've had tired places submerge the tire and nobody can find the leak. I've heard some rims can have pinhole channels in the castings that are very very hard to find. Not a crack but more of a channel. Has anyone had this problem and if so how would it be fixed? Tar coat the inside? I'm getting sick of having to add air. I guess the only good thing is I'm one of the few people driving around with proper tire pressure

Good Citizen

Stock VW wheel? If so, do you know the name of the wheel? What model and year VW?

Depending on warranty status, you may be able to get the wheel replaced.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by synmoo
    Stock VW wheel? If so, do you know the name of the wheel? What model and year VW?

Depending on warranty status, you may be able to get the wheel replaced.
    It's actually a 2000 Cabrio with all the trimmings. It doesn't have the GLS GLX designator however it's the top end of that car. I hate the lower end models of the same car.

I've got just under 40k miles on it and have an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

It's one of these little girly cars.

Same model of car in the picture.

Power User

Default Re: Alloy rim leak.

Quote Originally Posted by (in)Sanity
    Ok, I have aluminum 5 spoke alloy rims on the VW, I'm getting upset with one rim, two sets of tires and two sets of valves and still I have to put air in one tire every week. I've had tired places submerge the tire and nobody can find the leak. I've heard some rims can have pinhole channels in the castings that are very very hard to find. Not a crack but more of a channel. Has anyone had this problem and if so how would it be fixed? Tar coat the inside? I'm getting sick of having to add air. I guess the only good thing is I'm one of the few people driving around with proper tire pressure
    Well if all else fails go get some tire slime and add a little if you add to much you can throw your wheel out of balance. probably not the best solution but it's better than filling that SOB every week

Experienced

Maybe you can try something like this:

http://www.vikingseal.com/faq.html ?

Good Citizen

You've got a warranty... great!

Take it up with VW. Call the dealer get them to take a look. If there aren't any obvious curbs or cunks taken out of the wheel you've got a good chance of them covering it. If they say no, call VWoA and open a case.

This is of course, if you have the factory wheels on the car.

Experienced

Thanks for the suggestions, I know at least one guy that use to brush on a black sealant inside the rims to ensure the rims didn't leak. I have to deal with the even more annoying brake squeal issue this weekend. If only I could find this leak or someone else could then I'm sure it could be fixed. So far as I've stated nobody has been able to. I guess I could just sink the tire in someones swimming pool

They are factory rims so I might have a case with the warranty.

Yoda of Radar

Well, 9/10 of the time you have a leak, it's a bead leak... but if it doesn't show up under soapy water...

I would definately take it up with VWoA, but having said that, VWoA seems to have less than stellar after-sales service. Still worth a shot.