Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default For Those of You Who Have MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS/RD'S

I know someone who just got a manual transmission Subaru. Anyway, he asked me for any recommendations on RD's and I told him blah.......blah but he asked me an interesting question. If/when he gets his RD, will stalling the car have any sort of effect on the RD? He's new to stick, and he does stall quite a bit because he's still learning. I told him I don't think it's going to do anything because the engine stalls, but the battery is still on.....but the constant starting and restarting could have some sort of effect. I need some manual transmission experts to tell me whats myth and whats fact. Will stalling the car a few times or over and over again have any effect on the RD? Thanks.

Power User

No it won't. Your radar detector will still keep working even if your engine stalls as long as you have good electrical connections to your radar detector.

Experienced

No it won't have any negative effect on the RD, but if he's stalling that often, turn the detector off and concentrate on driving the car. Hearing a detector restart continuously can get irritating real quick. Just don't forget to turn it back on later.

Scratonicity Groupie

poor subbie

I'd recommend he unplugs the detector and learns to drive his car.

Professional

tell your friend to give lots of gas, rest his heal on the floor and release clutch over 1 second continous movement. You can never apply to much fuel!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto-radar-chopper
    tell your friend to give lots of gas, rest his heal on the floor and release clutch over 1 second continous movement. You can never apply to much fuel!

If you're putting it to 5,000 RPM before fully letting the clutch out in bumper to bumper traffic, that can cause problems... :shock:

Anyways, when using MT's, its all about clutch feathering when starting and stopping. He needs to find a parking lot where the cops won't hassle him (Local LEO's here will write a ticket for practicing in a lot...) and practice with the car. In first gear, he needs to just feather the clutch, and let it out slowly without hitting the gas, and find where the car starts to move as he is letting out the clutch. He should basically let the car move under its own power, and not use any throttle until he can get used to feathering the clutch and let the car start rolling. Once he finds that sweet spot on the clutch, then he can start using the throttle while going to that sweet spot. That should let him start off without reving the engine and causing his wheels to spin, or a sudden and dangerous launch that could spell disaster for his insurance premiums, or his drivetrain components. Note, make sure that he does not fully let the clutch all the way out... otherwise, the car will engage into first fully and then stall... Just basically ride in that sweet spot to keep the car moving at a crawl.

Also, tell him to forget about downshifting for now when it comes to stopping. Also, he should never skip on the downshift... its not fun. If he has to go to lower gear for passing, pop the throttle before letting the clutch out, that way its revmatching and not jerking him around and not destroying his clutch.

As far as his detector, it won't hurt it. I still at times stall the G5 (I admit... if I didn't have my caffeine, I cannot time stuff well...)

Experienced

keep in mind that in europe for instance most people drive cars with manual transmissions and use RDs without any problems.. but if you are used to it you don;t kill the engine that often. remember you need to gas it more than an automatic car.. but not too much (yes you can apply too much gas) since that will/might result in a power skid and/or people looking at you

normally the manual transmission has no effect on the RD.. but than again if you kill the engine we are coming back to voltage spikes...: http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...&postorder=asc

Speed Demon

your friend seems to have trouble finding the "bite" on his clutch.

I've only ever drove manuals and never had any issues with turning off and restarting the car ad the RD is concerned ,just have an inline fuse to be on the save side

Professional

Try to find a road with a mild grade that is very quiet, and then roll the car forward and backwards.

Is it a Jap car or Amer? American cars have a different feel then Japanese.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    poor subbie

I'd recommend he unplugs the detector and learns to drive his car.
    X2