Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Professional

Default Re: Got a big raise... Looking to get a new car

to learn more go here Myspecv.com By far one of the best forums, its a very fun and informative and secure.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx View Post
    im not saying they couldnt, but the stock 1.8 cannot get that out of 8 psi...
    Of course not. Even on stock programming, the K03s boosts to 11.6 psi, and reflashing it without changing a single mechanical bit gets you a lot more than that.

In order to get 300+ torque out of the 1.8 on the stock K03s, you're boosting in the 20+ psi range.

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    my spec at 2 psi beat his gti, let alone the 18psi that it is capable of at the moment....
    What does he have done to his GTI? Keep in mind, the 1.8 on the K03s can make 300+ torque on the stock turbo, but very few people have done the work to get there. Most just go the easy route and switch out the turbo.

As for the 2.0 FSI, I don't really know what the limits are on the stock turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner View Post
    Its also not to shabby looking.
    Yeah, it's one of the most attractive Japanese compacts. Of course now that they redesigned it, it's ugly as sh!t

Professional

The new ones i hated at first but now im starting to like the look and FYI the new ones internals are made to be boosted. No joke when they made the newer ones (07+) they put a 8pt balanced crank and the rods are beastly, even the stock headgasket on them is crazy. Someone already boosted the new one and is at like 400whp at 13 psi with stock internals. Only thing done is some bigger injectors and a AFC for tuning.

Yoda of Radar

The new ones i hated at first but now im starting to like the look and FYI the new ones internals are made to be boosted. No joke when they made the newer ones (07+) they put a 8pt balanced crank and the rods are beastly, even the stock headgasket on them is crazy. Someone already boosted the new one and is at like 400whp at 13 psi with stock internals. Only thing done is some bigger injectors and a AFC for tuning.
    Same as with the Jetta...the Mk4 Jetta, in the correct form (GLIs, mostly) looked very good. The Mk5 is a huge improvement mechanically, better engine, FSI, IRS...but it's unbelievably ugly.

Only one solution, really...ENGINE SWAP!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Same as with the Jetta...the Mk4 Jetta, in the correct form (GLIs, mostly) looked very good. The Mk5 is a huge improvement mechanically, better engine, FSI, IRS...but it's unbelievably ugly.

Only one solution, really...ENGINE SWAP!
    Yay no joke but hey man if you got a spec you can get the VQ35 engine swapped in perfectly.... We even have one spec with the swap and boosted and its stupid fast. But a VQ35 and a 100 shot will win you just about any race you will find locally .

Yoda of Radar

Yay no joke but hey man if you got a spec you can get the VQ35 engine swapped in perfectly.... We even have one spec with the swap and boosted and its stupid fast. But a VQ35 and a 100 shot will win you just about any race you will find locally .
    Your "100 shot" won't win any REAL race...how many seconds does that last? 30? 60?

Real races are measured in laps

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Your "100 shot" won't win any REAL race...how many seconds does that last? 30? 60?

Real races are measured in laps
    I would agree but we are talking about FWD and while alot of people track spec,s most either gut it and rally it (because apparently they make great rally cars, We have one member with like the title 3 years straight on some rally tourny). However a spec V with a VQ35 with some basic bolt on's is one hell of a fast car.

Experienced

Subaru Impreza WRX (Sedan)
    Golf GTI I4 Turbo
    Dodge SRT-4
    Chevy Cobalt SS (Turbocharged)
    MazdaSpeed3

Here I fixed your list for you!!
    My personal comments...not deep insight.

- The Mazdaspeed3 is a very nice car for sure. Quick. etc. Hatch back if your into that. Do look nice tho in & out.

- WRXs are always cool. AWD etc. Would like to own one, but IMO there are better options out there unless you live down a fun dirt road. etc. Trannys are known to be glass tho, unless your leaving it stock.

- Dodge SRT-4 : hmmm You're talking new? If so The Caliber is not my cup of tea, If you like the styling & the car itself then go for it. Its a little heavier and not a good platform for a "SRT" but they upped the output and while its slower then the NSRT-4 getting up to speed, in the top end it will start walking it stock for stock) AHh I really don't want to say what I drive on a forum like this because of possible videos I might upload etc but I own a Neon SRT-4 and Besides the crappy looking center console I love this car. The Engine can take the mods easly. Its a VERY STOUT car and can take the abuse. I would get an 04&05 come with LSD + More Ponies). GL find a stock one though. The torque steer on this car is also unbelievably awesome. Its non existent in the dry. Wet it pulls but hell RWD or FWD you're not going anywhere in the rain.
    (SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum heavily NSRT-4 based forum, not sure where the best CSRT-4 is) Tons and tons of knowledge on this car. (If you want more reading material via Magazine Articles I got links to a few such as general reviews to them breaking down the engine & showing how stout the internals are. Also the NSRT-4 Production #s are what we generally put down to the floor, Dodge underated them for whatever reason, insurance? There articles proving this too..)

- Chevy Cobalt SS : I Would never buy the Supercharged version, they're not very impressive at all and Cobalts are just bland looking. Now a new Turbo one omg. IT IS VERY IMPRESSIVE so far. It is responding very well to mods so far. If my memory serves me right one of the main guys responsible for the NSRT-4 is working for Chevy now and is involved w/ the Cobalt TC. SC= Slow but has that all so cool SC whine, TC = Impressive when you put it to the floor. OH and it has Torque steer thats not to friendly & Still looks ugly though.... (Most of us SRT-4 guys are friendly with the Cobalt guys since its bassicly the same idea just different manufacture so thats how I know a little bit about them)

Golf GTI I4 Turbo : I don't know anything about this car... Except I like the R32 in black w/ red trim. ITs pretty nice looking.
    Last edited by ThE_JOkeR; 09-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Advanced Member

have fun trying to mount jammers on the WS6!!!!! Its horrible and takes for ever to get a completely punchthrough-free ride.

Ask 'thestaton' he had 3 LPPs on his TransAm and was still getting 400ft+ PTs

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner View Post
    I love the new look of the WRX, but I think it is still out of my pricerange.

I am really looking at the GTI as I have recently aquired a taste for its look...
    I don't buy anything made by crapsubishi no matter how good it looks... They build stuff that does not last and overcharge for it!
    lol yeah from day 1 of car interest I have know them as "sh*t boxes". The only good days they ever had were the DSM days with the joint venture between the Chrysler Corporation and themselves. The old Turbo Eagle Talons, Plymouth Lasers & Esclipes we're quite the tuners toy.

(edit) errrrrrr as I read more of this thread I realize you have already talked about this