Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Re: Anyone here use fuel additives?

Those bottle of octane booster don't increase the octane very much. I think they increase it in "points," which I think go in tenths of an octane. They increase less points the higher the octane already is, I think.

Torco, on the other hand, is basically high octane race gas. That's why blending it with your "normal" gas actually increases the octane.

As for the programmer and higher octane, a lot of people offset the cost of the premium (which ends up being like 3-4 dollars more a fill-up) by the gains in fuel economy they get from the gains in power, assuming they drive the same. Problem is, it's hard for people to drive the same when their cars feel better. I know tuning on the 04-08 F150s basically eliminates the throttle lag found from factory, as well as "bettering" the way the truck drives.

This is all AKAIK, btw.

Power User

I put a bottle of techron in the tank about every 4th or 5th fill up. I keep about 5 bottles of the stuff in the trunk...

I run Amsoil in the crankcase. It's hard to find so I keep a few quarts of that in the trunk as well.

As for the 87 vs 93 debate, I have a 2003 Mazda 4 cylinder truck which is my kind of seldom driven beater and I can tell a WORLD of difference when I run premium.

My wifes Altima doesn't care what it burns.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Driver View Post
    Works great in a Turbo'd or S/C car but not a non forced inducted car.
    Wait...there actually are NA cars? I thought they were only in badly thought out fairy tales...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Driver View Post
    I just just reg. gas because prem. gas does nothing for my 04 focus.

+
    unless you are using poor quality fuel, just use the fuel your manual recommends.

I usually use RUG and try to use "name brand" stations with a rep. of quality.

Good Citizen

I try and get VPower once a month, especially if I'm going to be driving hard. I also use a bottle of Techron before each oil change. VPower is probably a gimick, but I use it anyway :P

Good Citizen

Cool Re: Anyone here use fuel additives?

I use SeaFoam in our car around every 6 months or so. It works INCREDIBLY well! I actually heard about it from a bunch of ASE mechanics that told me that they use it regually. I put a little in the oil and the rest in the gas and let it do its magic. The extra gas mileage that I get easily pays for the product, but I appreciate the extra power it gives most

Old Timer

I use a bottle of Techron about every other oil-change.

I carry a bottle of NOS "off-road" formulation octane booster, just in case I pick up some skunked gas (and yes, my car *is* that sensitive, it's aftermarket engine-management ).... On longer trips, I'll have my laptop with me, with an 89-octane map ready to reflash, just in case.

Newcomer

TSi, 91+ is preferred correct? You can run 87/89 but I would be kinda scared :P. What EM are you running?

'02 WRX Here. Usually put in Techron additive whenever I think about it. I buy it @ Costco when they drop the price.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Ingus View Post
    I use SeaFoam in our car around every 6 months or so. It works INCREDIBLY well! I actually heard about it from a bunch of ASE mechanics that told me that they use it regually. I put a little in the oil and the rest in the gas and let it do its magic. The extra gas mileage that I get easily pays for the product, but I appreciate the extra power it gives most
    good luck putting it in the crankcase. ever wonder what happens to the viscosity with that stuff put in?

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSimple View Post
    TSi, 91+ is preferred correct? You can run 87/89 but I would be kinda scared :P. What EM are you running?
    I'm actually running a 93-octane map, with Midwestern-grade gas.

The engine seems pretty aggressive at knowing when to start pulling massive timing, but then again, at the same time, even one knock event can kill, so definitely, I try my best to *not* have that happen.

The octane-booster is just to help get me home (since I have very short commutes), and on road-trips, the laptop is necessary because my interface is ECUTeK.

I would've liked to have gone with Cobb, but at the time I started with my Legacy, back in '05, the only tuner that was available to me was limited to ECUTeK.

I've since stayed with ECUTeK, both because it locks me out of the ECU (if I messed with it, I seriously would blow up the car, given how "much little" I know ), as well as for the fact that when I ran into issues with the former tuner's map, ECUTeK NA really stepped up to the plate and offered me excellent customer-support (which, I know, Cobb would've done, too).

'02 WRX Here.
    Sweet! Fellow Scooby lover!

The wifey and I are going to go look at the replacement for her '05 WRX (coming off-lease) this afternoon! I hope to have her in either a '09 Impreza 2.5GT (sadly, she doesn't drive stick) 5-door, a Forester 2.5XT, or a Legacy 2.5GT or 3.0R sedan.