Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes SL65

Newcomer

Default Mercedes SL65

I'm searching for a Mercedes SL65 this summer (probably a low mileage 2006).

I'm concerned about tinkering with the electronics, i've done Japanese and American cars without problem. I haven't used an audio shop because, there either too expensive or don't do a clean enough install.

But with complicated electrical in the mercedes, I don't feel confident doing it myself nor can I find a shop in Toronto willing to work on the car.

I'm planning on getting a LI and 9500ci for the front grill, but the laser cruise is finnicky I heard.

I also want the mirror etched, but I haven't done a auto-dimming one before.

Finally I want a V1 installed in the headrest of the passenger seat. But the seat contains far more than foam and frame.

I've done all this without problem on my Accord, but I might have to find a shop a long the east coast of the US (picking up the car in Florida in all probability).

Any suggestions?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Mercedes SL65

Seriously? How much do you plan on getting a low-mileage SL65 for? For the kind of money it's going to take just to buy the car, an audio shop to install the electronics should be pocket change.

As a rule, the electronics should be hooked directly into the fuse box, so they should just be getting power directly, instead of piggybacking off of the other electronics. That should avoid most problems.

Where are you picking the car up in Florida? If it's South Florida, I would suggest calling Bob Varela at Foreign Affairs Motorsports.

Newcomer

I was in south florida in February, saw a couple of 2006 models with 20k miles going for $55k. Original list price for the cars were close to $200k. I would've done the deal in February but they didn't have the color combo/options I wanted.

I plan to spend about $2k on radar/laser protection, $3k on performance upgrades, and about $7k on import taxes. Overall budget $70k max. Buying the car in Canada would be twice that! Not that i'm penny pinching, but why spend money foolishly when you don't have to.

I know I should be going to an installer, but I haven't been able to find one that's willing to do custom work on a mercedes. Ie. intergrate the radar cruise system with the radar detector, or install the V1 in the headrest.

Speed Demon

i know this is probably out of the question. but in san angelo, texas there is a place called sound box audio. i know they work on mercedes, lamborghini, ferrari and they do some great work. but the downside is that they are in texas.s

Newcomer

Texas is a little out the way. Was hoping for a shop in Florida or New York state.

Planning on trailering the car way home.

Yoda of Radar

Foreign Affairs is the best place to get work done on German cars. Not only are they one of the best performance shops around, but they do work on any kind of accessories you want. Bob is into all the countermeasures, although he happens to prefer Blinder over Laser Interceptor (he'll happily install any of them, though).

Speed Demon

I'd have a different budget (I've also looked at that car).

Consider spending $3k for the 9500/LI/V1, and around $2k for custom install. The headrest install might run a bit more; I've never done one of those.

I wouldn't spend anything on performance upgrades.

Good luck!

Experienced

AI Design in Tuckahoe, NY did the work on the Polizei M5's and the Blackbird R8.

Newcomer

Thank everyone for the suggestions, I'll check Al Designs and Foreign Affairs tomorow. I already purchased the equipment for less than $2k, do just trying to find a good installer.

Quote Originally Posted by M6D View Post
    I wouldn't spend anything on performance upgrades.
    May I ask why not? Kleemann, just reduced the price of there ECU upgrade by half. $2,500 for 700 HP and 950 lbs of torque sounds good, no?

Yoda of Radar

The car ALREADY has more horsepower and torque than god. I'm not saying that the power/dollar ratio is bad...because honestly, it's excellent, although I'm not sure about how much you would feel the difference.

I'm just saying that you can reflash the ECU any time. START OUT with it stock, and then after you've driven it for a while, see if you still want to reflash it. You might decide you want to keep it the way it is.