Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi or Toyota

Experienced

Default Audi or Toyota

Well some of you may seen I got into a car accident and I need a new car so its between

A 2003 Audi A6 with 64K on the odo for 13,000
    OR
    A 2008 toyota Corolla with 36K on the odo for 15,000

My old car was a 200 toyota so whats new with the newer models?
    The engine in mine was great 120K on it and it still ran fine, I never had any major problems with my toyota just normal maintenance.

With the audi, I have never driven one or been in one but it looks sexy and its an audi. What are the ups and downs of this car? Im leaning towards this car because I like how it looks and ya know why not?

I pretty much wanted to know what the ups and downs are of these cars and which would you guys have and why?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Audi or Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by lostidentity View Post
    Well some of you may seen I got into a car accident and I need a new car so its between

A 2003 Audi A6 with 64K on the odo for 13,000
    OR
    A 2008 toyota Corolla with 36K on the odo for 15,000

My old car was a 200 toyota so whats new with the newer models?
    The engine in mine was great 120K on it and it still ran fine, I never had any major problems with my toyota just normal maintenance.

With the audi, I have never driven one or been in one but it looks sexy and its an audi. What are the ups and downs of this car? Im leaning towards this car because I like how it looks and ya know why not?

I pretty much wanted to know what the ups and downs are of these cars and which would you guys have and why?
    Don't Audi's have a rep for being maintenance nightmares? I'd go with Toyota over Audi any day. The A6 is cooler than the Camry though.

Experienced

I wouldnt know. I have never owned, driven, or even rode in an Audi. I just think it looks cool and it has better performance than the corolla.

Experienced

I don't know too much about the toyota (sorry) but if its an audi I can help you out. A6, espically the 2.7t's are so much fun! One of the guys I went to college with had one and it was great for taking long trips, not to mention having the promise of traction (quattro) in most conditions. With that said im gunna get down to the pro's and con's.

Pros A6: Fast, fun, safe, and Quattro ftw.
    Cons: Fuel depending on how you drive and what model you get, some people dont like maintaining their cars that well and if you are one of those people this car is not for you. Turbo models that were not maintained well can have bad turbo/turbo seals. There is alot of covering of the engine also which can be a pain if you want to take a look underhood. Sometimes parts are more expensive.

I'd still take an audi over a toyota anyday because its a true performer and I love my audi. They have soul which is something i cant explain to you, you have to find it for yourself. Repairs aren't too bad as long as you stay on top of them.

General Advice on buy a used car:
    If you are going to a dealer
    - They are called stealerships for a reason. Be careful and inspect the car that you are looking at meticulously.
    - Bring a flashlight so you can look at things.
    - Dont be afraid to ask questions, and if he cant answer it ask him to find someone that can.
    - Dont ever believe a salesperson about the mechanical status of the car. Hes paid to sell the car not to fix it. With that said ALWAYS ask for repair records.
    - Dont buy a car without a carfax. Ever.
    - If they ask for credit cards, or ID MAKE SURE you get them back as soon as possible. A sales trick is to ask for a card and hold it hostage until you look at a car or buy something. If they dont give it back when its reasonable to, ask for the manager, and if he wont give it back, threaten to call the cops, and if he doesnt give in call the police. I had an experience at a dealer where I had to go that far.
    - DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE CAR YOU WANT TO BUY!!!!! Go on forums, look up recalls, and bring it with you. You may need to use it.
    - Try to find a larger dealer that is a certified pre owned dealer. Also large amounts of cars on a lot does not mean that the dealer is a good dealer.
    - Dont be in a rush and keep a level head.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by thefreakincarjunkie; 09-27-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Speed Demon

Audi's are VERY expensive to fix and do break more often but you are talking night and day in terms of a real car and a toy. A6 is pretty big though and will suck down gas (probably why it's cheap, probably AWD Auto too). If you could find a similar A4 preferably with a stick you would really like it over a corrolla and it would get pretty good mpg.

Audi's are not rockets but they handle like a dream. Extremely safe in an accident (not that that would ever happen). Toyota's are reliable and boring.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 09-27-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Radar Fanatic

I say yoder, I have a 95 prizm (corolla) and it works great, very reliable, can get me through anything (with snow tires), can cruise at 90 mph all day long and still only sips 33mpg at 80 mph.

Lead Foot

You are going to cry when taking German cars in for repairs... They are very expensive to maintain and repair.

Between the Audi and Corolla, I would have to say the Toyota Corolla. Not only are they easy and cheap to maintain, but that 2008 Corolla is still under warranty. Yeah, the Corolla does not have any style and is boring but it will reward you in the end with more money in your pocket due to the reliability, easy maintenance, and excellent fuel economy.

Radar Fanatic

Unless you really want a Corolla, i'd get the Camry. More power and the front/rear is perfect for counter measure. You cant find the 07 of under what your willing to pay for a corolla. Honda and Toyota are rock solid over time. i'm going through the same phase of a buget of 12,000. I'm Eyeing the 2003 s2000,2003 MR2 spyder, of 07 civic. All the cars i picked of japanese technology and have great places for countermeasure.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by DrCoke View Post
    Unless you really want a Corolla, i'd get the Camry. More power and the front/rear is perfect for counter measure. You cant find the 07 of under what your willing to pay for a corolla. Honda and Toyota are rock solid over time. i'm going through the same phase of a buget of 12,000. I'm Eyeing the 2003 s2000,2003 MR2 spyder, of 07 civic. All the cars i picked of japanese technology and have great places for countermeasure.
    I talked my daughter into a luxury Honda AKA acura for the same reaons. She got a brand new 2003 TSX. The Acura makes the Audi look reliable and cheap in comparison. Oh my god what a money pit. Maybe the honda's are ok but the Acura sure isn't.

Radar Fanatic

A good toyota can last you hundreds of thousands of miles without problems. We've had toyotas last us a long time with absolutely no unexpected repairs, but if I was to buy a toyota again, I wouldn't be so quick to purchase one. Their quality is going down, and the 6-speed auto w/fwd (08+ Avalon, 07+ camry V6 and maybe others) is a maintenance nightmare. My biggest concern about hondas is their automatics bolted to anything V6 (Had an odyssey, sold it after only 10k due to transmission nightmares). I had doubts about getting my Acuhonda TL-S because of the transmission but I read that the 07+ TL-s got a more durable unit so I bought it.

My biggest gripe with the audi you're looking at is that it's german so be prepared to pay a lot of money for repairs. The corolla is an excellent durable car but $15k for an '08 and 36k miles is a bit steep IMO.