Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default I want a lil bump in my sound system

I have aftermarket Radio and 4 speakers.
    -Alpine Head
    -Pioneer Rear 6x9
    -Sony Front 5 1/2

I was going to buy an amp to power all 4 and don’t bother with a sub

Now I am thinking of getting a powered sub (i.e. Infinity bass link) because I don’t want a full size sub and box, I want it as concealed as possible.

Any of you car audio freak (i.e. a town navi) want to throw me some suggestions

Maximum I would like to spend is $250 - $350 with installation.

I don’t want competition performance, just a little bump to the system.

Power User

Just go to ebay and get a little punch 2 channel amp and a 10" fosgate dvc sub, doesn't sound like much but it will give you some good bass!! How many pre out's does your deck have?

Radar Fanatic

the bass link is alright. but since you already have an aftermarket head unit that has RCA pre-outs, you might as well use em lol. id have to see the back of your car, if i were you and wasnt putting anything crazy, just a little bump, id put 1 10" with between 200-300 watts. i wish i could see your trunk cuz id be more than happy to build you a custom box and with only 1 10 im sure i could make it comcealed . however between 250-350 w/ installation is tough. unless of course you do the Basslink, which might be your best alternative. now im not sure if you want everything brand new or if you care if its used. if you dont mind used, then id hit up Ebay and look for a Rockford Fosgate sub and then a 250 W amp. whats going to kill you is the box, cuz i dont know how concealed you want it. and most Car Audio shops charge 2 arms and leg to build a custom one. but a single 10 is never going to look extreamly bulky. something like this even though its a 12" 5831468344 . but for a 10" sub id go for something like this 5831466781 . then a RF amp. you cant go wrong with rockford fosgate. but any questions please ask, i love helping people out with stuff like this .

Yoda of Radar

This all depends, wether you want SQ or not, I would assume it (SQ/SPL/SQL) is (are) not a very big deal for you. I would either say 2-8inch subs, or a single 10 inch sub.

The 2-8inch subs would give you a little more surface area, but the box would probably end up being slightly larger.

As for brand: Honestly I deal mostly with higher end stuff (or used to), so each sub would be well over 300bucks by itself. But I could say for some midline 8inch subs for cheap, MAAUDIO makes some darn decent ones (more for spl then SQ) -well as far how little spl/sq you will get out of this system anyways- .

To save some money:
    (You may want to look into a used RF/Alpine/JBL amp, those are all solid midline companies that make fairly solid amps that if you could pick up a good condition used one, normally they work very well and save $$$)
    I do not suggest begginer people buy used subs, often times the conditions of these are harder to get a handle on then compared to amps, so unless you really know what your looking for, you may buy subpar products.

*Remember a box of that size will cost you about 25-30bucks to make after you carpet it, not to mention another 25-40bucks for a decent wiring kit* Yes to make a better box and get a HQ wireing kit it would cost hundreds of dollars in itself. I am just assume you dont want this of coruse.

PS: 'A-Town Navi' I am not currently selling anymore of my systems (I had talked to you a while back in a post about this).

I have been thinking about getting the combo: 2-15inch Orion H2's and the 2-Orion XTRPRO 2400's. Then I probably would end up selling my system. Like I said though I havent been heavily into car audio for a long time so I DNK how much money I am willing to sink into a completely new system and how much time to reconstruct the car for a new system, not to mention the money motorcycles cost.

Radar Fanatic

yeah dont buy any half-A$$ things i.e. DUAL audio, lightning audio. if you were going to install yourself youll need an Amp wiring kit (power wire, fuse, ground wire, control wire, RCA's and connectors), zip ties, split loom housing (so you cover the power wire when its in your engine bay), screwdriver, and about 4 hours. but if you dont know what your doing then dont even attempt it, leave it to professionals . if everything was new im saying itll cost you appx $500 installed for 1 10".

Radar Fanatic

j/w F_399, did you ever decide on anything?

Professional

Hey there!

I also have a system in my car, but i dont know much about the details. I have JBL component sets front & rear powered by a rockford 600watt amp and two 10"rockford subs powered by an 800 watt amp.

IF all you want is just some thump....do exatly as A-Navi said. Just add a little 10" sub with an amp. Leave your aftermarket speakers as it is, don't bother amping those coz it'll only make it louder, but it won't make it "thump" more.

Lead Foot

For wiring, may I suggest www.knukonceptz.com ... really good prices... I use them alot.

Subs etc, I prefer a different breed. www.reaudio.com for subs, TruTech for amps are two of my favs.

Radar Fanatic

haveny bought anything yet but it have decided on powered subs. maybe the bass link or a tube

i am not looking for a system that can be heard from another car so powered subs are the easiest install and probably the cheapest.

Professional

Yes i think thats the good way to go for now.

Since u said you alrady have aftermarket speakers, the sound quality shoudl be fine. IF u just want "a little more thump" then just a single powered sub should be okay.

But few months down the line.....u may want more. Trust me on this....