Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Good Amp? Help...

Whats a good 2 channel amp?

I see all those cheap amps with high watts but i am sure there are better quality amps with lower watts that sound better

i want to power my 2 rear 6x9 speakers

any other suggestions? should i power the front speakers as well?

Radar Fanatic

how does the wiring go?

power ------> amp

amp------> 4 or 2 speakers?

is this possible?

amp-------->radio---------> 4 or 2 speakers?

sorry i ahve absolutely no idea

Radar Fanatic

ill draw a pic for ya :wink: brb

Radar Fanatic

haha thanks bud!

yeah i dont want the installation shop ripping me off

i already have trunk pre-wired

i have wire for power coming from the battery

a wire coming from the headunit that splits in 2 i guess for left and right (it was for a powered sub)

Radar Fanatic

click the "full page" so you can see it all. thats a 2 channel amp, if you want to power all 4 then youll need a 4 channel. i would say to power your speakers go with an MTX amp, they make good ones.

Radar Fanatic

the control wire should be a Blue wire coming out of your head unit wiring harness, it goes to the control wire (remote wire) terminal on the amp, it just basically turns the amp on when your head unit turns on.

Radar Fanatic

i dont know if you have a sub already but if you dont i would get something like this, ebay # 5846749409, a good 5 ch amp to power all speakers and then the sub.

Radar Fanatic

i was just about to ask about the blue wire, do i need that?

i have the preouts and the 12v wire

how much do you think they will charge for the speaker wiring, the rear speakers would probably be easy

thanks!

that one on ebay is a broken amp

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by f_399
    how does the wiring go?

power ------> amp

amp------> 4 or 2 speakers?

is this possible?

amp-------->radio---------> 4 or 2 speakers?

sorry i ahve absolutely no idea
    Order for the signal goes (in lamens terms..very dulled down here):

Radio(HU) RCA pre-outs [female]
    TO [via dual male end RCA cable]
    Amp Signal Inputs (Amp amplifies signal from LLRCAoutputs from deck, and then send it to the speaker(channel) outputs)[female]
    TO (via speaker wire)
    The speakers/subwoofers.

*Note you will also need the 'Remote turn on lead' from the HU to the AMP.*

I have seen a single amp hooked up to 8 subwoofers (and heard people hooking up many more) so yes its very possible to run 2 or 4 speakers or subs from a single amp.(Have done this numerous times before)
    You have just got to make sure that your impedance (resistance) [measured in ohms] is an impedance which the amp is stable at.

A little history lesson in Car audio:
    (Amps known as 'Cheater amps'... [such as the Orion HCCA] could handle a resistance of just .25ohms and some people ran them at even less ohms then that. These amps could easily handle 4,6,8,10subs at once if wired correctly....however their main purpose (as stated) was to cheat.
    Back in the days car audio compititions were divided into class sizes based on amp output...so what Orion did was seriously underrate their amp (50watts on an HCCA) so it could get into a very 'low power' class and crush the compition at that level....because even though they were rated at 50wattsRMS at 4ohms, they could be wired to such dramatic impedance levels.... (.25 ohms or less) that the output could be 4 or even 8 times the rated power (if not more). These so called 'Cheater Amps' which are also 'HighCurrent' amps brought an end to rating compititions based solely on 'amp output'. They were not used, however, with large amounts of subs (because even though massive amounts of power were made they have to be divided amoung to many subs so it wasnt practical)...often times in compititions Two- 2ohmDualVoiceCoil subs would be used in correlation with such amps.

I would suggest buying a used Orion Cobalt either the 50(watts)x2(channel) version or the 75(watts)x2(channel) version of the amp. (These were Orions entry Level amps but held there own, and still will hold their own watt-to-watt with 75% of the stuff out there....working on 5&10yr old technology).
    They do not make this line up of amp anymore ever since they(orion) was bought out (and many feel have gone downhill....from the early/mid 90's right through till the late 90's early early 00's were many feel they dominated the HQ/compitition amp market with its HCCA&XTRPRO model amps.) So anycase you will have to find one in good condition off ebay...or a retailer whom has still held a few.

Those amp(s) would fit ur situation perfectly.

Other then that (amps still in production): Small 2 channel RF or Alpine amps would suit you nicely.

PS: If you aren't sure how to wire everything up correctly do not attempt it, you can seriously damage you car(s entire electrical system) and you can also kill yourself(has happened). You can also ruin hundreds if not thousands of dollars of an audio system.

Radar Fanatic

oh my bad, i didnt read the description lol ops: . yes your going to need the control wire, if you dont have it your amp will be on 24/7. a good stereo shop should charge no more than $90 to install it and wire up the speakers, esspecially if you already have the RCA's and power wire run. and im sure they could go ahead a wire up the control wire no problem. my buddy had his system (Head unit, amp, wires) all installed and wired up for $155 and my local shop. and that included the mounting bracket for the head unit and wiring harness.