Experienced
    delete account. delete account. delete account. delete account.

Default Regular Car Maintenance - I Need Advice/Help

Hey guys,

I need some advice on some regular car maintenance services. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X and I am at 120,000 miles. I am consistant with my oil changes, however, I know there are things that need to be done when a car hits 100k. Any advice?

Also, I may be thinking of doing a full complete check-up of my car from head to toe and have a certified mechanic do everything for me, is that a good idea? If anybody knows anyone within the New York state that is cheap, or is honest/trustworthy with these things, let me know please.

Thanks guys,
    1D2R

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Regular Car Maintenance - I Need Advice/Help

Check the t-belt and spark plug replacement intervals for your car. These are the only major items I can think of around the 100-120k mark in addition to regular maintenance of course.

Speed Demon
    Driving in the left lane, 10 MPH below the PSL, with my turn signal on!

Change all fluids and filters.

Lead Foot

like others mention, spark plugs, belts, and fluids, those are the major components. i have a vehicle that has 170K miles never broke down. just by doing all those things will keep it going strong.

Experienced
    delete account. delete account. delete account. delete account.

I got an estimate for one shop here in Long Island. Does this seem reasonable, and are they required?

check up charge to go over entire car is 103.00 it is waived if work is done

relative to service history if not done yet these are services due
    transmission flush @120000miles $228.00 parts and labor
    coolant system flush @120000miles parts and labor 129.00
    replace timing belt and drive belts every60000miles parts and labor $717.50
    full engine tune up and plug seals with valve cover gaskets and fuel
    filter 1282.89

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

What kind of experience and tools do you have?

Replacing all the fluids and filters is a good place to start. That includes brake and clutch fluid. The specific "things that need to be done" can be found in the car's manual. I recommend looking at the severe service schedule because sometime they recommend things there they don't mention on the normal schedule.

Pay attention to everything rubber like hoses, belts, CV-joint boots, etc. If the accessory belts and the timing belt (if this car has one) have never been changed, this would be a really good time. Check for oil leaks. (But you should know if it leaks because you check the oil level regularly, right?) Sometimes oil can drip onto hoses and cause them to soften and wear away which is something to watch for.

The next time you need tires you can have them check the alignment and inspect the suspension. Also, if the shocks were never replaced they're probably shot. I've lived with old shocks before and I know you can get by with them but it makes the handling sketchy.

Keeping a good car running is pretty rewarding. I have a car that's nearing 170,000 miles that still runs great. The only problems it has is a shot driver's seat and oil leaks that I'm choosing to ignore because my mechanic says it's probably because of a bad thrust bearing. I feel fortunate that I didn't start driving in the era when 100,000 miles was basically on the road to the junkyard.