Newcomer

Default cobra xr-1050 vs whistler xtr-140

I am new to detectors, but I want an entry-level $30 detector. Which one is better, the Whistler XTR-140 or the Cobra XR-1050? Thanks alot!

Speed Demon

Default Re: cobra xr-1050 vs whistler xtr-140

Quote Originally Posted by co1063
    I am new to detectors, but I want an entry-level $30 detector. Which one is better, the Whistler XTR-140 or the Cobra XR-1050? Thanks alot!

all depends if you want a $200 or $300 dollar ticket?

Save up and get a good detector

Newcomer

please tell me which one out of those two are better. if i could get a better one, believe me i would.

xr1050 was voted the best by caranddriver 2002 if that helps

Speed Demon

please tell me which one out of those two are better. if i could get a better one, believe me i would.

xr1050 was voted the best by caranddriver 2002 if that helps
    Neither !!!

But if any of them I would get the Whistler over the cobra but its your death bed not mine.

Plus the whistler I believe doesn't false good detectors as much as the cobra.

Speed Demon

Also put this link in your bookmarks because you will need it http://www.radardetector.net/viewforum.php?f=6

Professional

see sig

Experienced

traditionally Corbra and RMR always rank at the bottom of the pile for ant tests, especially in the very important KA band.

I would recommend anything from Whistler as it is superior to Cobra.
    Plus Cobra causes severe falsing on other detectors.

Take it from a former Cobra owner.

Default Re: cobra xr-1050 vs whistler xtr-140

let me help you out with this one.....If you can't afford a good detector don't buy one at all, you're better off using your eyes. You'll put too much confidence in that detector and get a ticket because you "trust" it. I promise you i've used cobras infact i still kinda do for city driving and you ALMOST ALWAYS see the cop before it goes off. There are the few exceptions where it gives you the second or two warning before a curve or a hill but don't count on it, that's rare.

Professional

I posted this in the other section but since you posted it twice, I will too.

Let's see. I'll try and answer your initial question by rephrasing it for you.

Which is better, a pile of dog *BEEP*, or a pile of horse *BEEP*? Well, at the end of the day, they both stink.

A speeding ticket will cost you MUCH more than $ 30. Think of it as an investment, not a price tag.

If you were shopping for a seat belt if you KNEW you were going to crash, would you buy the cheapest thing on the market even though you knew it was nothing more than a thin band of cotton protecting you? Or would you spend a little more for something that you knew would keep you safe?

If you want to hire a hooker, do you buy the cheapest condom in the store knowing she probably has an STD?

I realize you're probably young and on a budget but really, like someone said earlier, all a $ 30 RD will do is give you a false sense of security. It will go off so much that you will ignore it and when a real alert DOES come, you will ignore it too, and then get a ticket. Then you're not only out the $ 30 you threw away, but you will have a ticket too.

If you only have $ 30 to spend, spend it on something else or save your money till you can buy something that you can actually depend on.

PBR is less expensive than Spaten-Optimiator for a reason.
    Yugo's are less expensive than an Aston Martin for a reason.
    Your local bingo parlor is less expensive than a trip to Las Vegas for a reason.
    Your local community college is less espensive than Yale for a reason

Do you get it yet?!?!?!

If you still think you can spend $ 30 and have something that can save you from a ticket, send the $ 30 to my paypal account and I will call you when I think there's a cop in the area. You'll be as safe with me calling you as you would either of those pieces of *BEEP* garbage.

Power User

Seriously man, I hope you've taken it in after posting like 5 threads on this and getting the same answers back. If you can't invest good money into a detector, don't speed. The minimum you should be getting is the whistler XTR-690 level, or the Bel 940/955-ish series.