Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Radar Fanatic

The officer was using laser. I doubt any detector save maybe the V1 would have gone off.

Good Citizen

Dear brwmogazos,

I'm from Greece too. If you read the forum a few answers higher you'll see that the detector you own is not equiped with Ku band. The tripod you saw was a mini-Gatso, widely used in Greece and UK. Mini-Gatsos work on Ku band (13,45 GHz) and you will never detect it with such a detector. For Geece you need something more sophisticated and proper for Greek/European conditions. Something like Bel 550 or Valentine 1 with Euro-mode (it's sold from some kind of e-shop for 805 euros but I don't know the details).

The other gun you saw, the blue (it's black with a blue stripe on top) is an LTI Ultralyte, the most common laser gun in Greece (almost 90% of the laser guns here). It's 100% sure that you can't detect it if not pointing at you.

Plz send me a PM with information about the place you live, the price and place you bought the detector and I'll give you some advice about Greece and some sites you have to visit to lear about radar detectors in Greece etc.

Thnx for your time.

Professional

Put the Crapra on eBay and get a V995, RX65, or V1. They're all Ku-enable, and they all make the Crapra look like what it is--all flash and no substance.

Good Citizen

For Greece there are 3 best choices:

1. Bel 550
    2. V1
    3. Bel 966r (but without X band)

Police here uses 95% laser now - police bought for the olympics many many ultralytes (90% of laser guns) and they use some Prolaser II,III and Traffic Patrols also- but in some small villages there are old X band guns. They also use X band guns in at least 2 places right in the center of Athens during the holidays were the roads are empty and everyone is driving like crazy. After these remarks, I'm opposed to the use of 966. So, the choices are 2, bel 550 and V1. The problem is V1 is not sold here in Greece (I read about some e-shops that sell it about 950$), so there is only one choice, the Bel 550 (for a guy with no connections to US).

Other choices such as RX-65 and 995 are good, but not as good as the 550 and V1. The problem is that police here uses the European frequencies, so if they are not using right now, they will use in the future, Ka band radars or even Multanovas. In such scenario, the RX-65 and 995 will be useless.
    After all, there are some testimonies, that police officers, relatives of some owners of Bel 995, have tested the 995 against ultralyte and it didn't detect it not even once. Even from 10ft aiming straight at the detector. Strange thing of course, since 995 is the only detector sold from RadioShack here in Greece !!!

For sure protection here in Greece, a driver needs 5 things:
    1. GPS for the piezoelectric lane cameras (I need destinator SP for series 60 and it'll do the job just fine)
    2. RD for the mini-Gatsos, police vehicles with K band radars and fixed Gatsos with radar
    3. VF for the cameras if the first 2 countermeasures fail
    4. laser jammer for the lasers
    5. veil + laser shield to enhance the performance of the jammer

Let's hope that the new jammers will outperform the old ones and I'll be willing to buy one of them.
    Really, does blinder and lidatek are willing to sell some kind of evolutin to the present jammers they sell? I trust them more than drive-smart and anti-laser.

Thnx for your time.

thats a very informative post there mate.

answered all of my questions and more...

i guess i need to find a trash can so that i can "store" my 9700 for a long time now :roll:

Need to start saving money i guess for the Bell you suggested...