Thread: RX65 Test Drive

Experienced

Default RX65 Test Drive

Thanks to Roy, I just got my RX65 today in fine fashion!

I took it for a little test drive, and this is what I found....

- Found a speed sign. Detected it about 400m away from behind it with it pointing in the opposite direction. I was impressed. Detected it about 800m away as I was moving away from it on the opposite side of the road. A little disappointed, but no biggie. Looped around and detected it about 4.5 kms away as I was moving toward it (Ka band) in a loose bunch of traffic. I was impressed.

- Found a photo-radar van. Detected it as I was approaching it, imediately in front of it. It was taking pictures of traffic going the other way, so was not really aimed at me. Met expectations. I looped around (what a ridiculous chore THAT was on this road, took about 15 minutes!) and drove past it. No detection whatsoever. I am thinking the operator must have judged my speed or saw I was beside another vehicle and decided it wasn't worth flicking the switch. I wasn't about to turn around and try it again...

- I love the threat display, although it takes more work to pay attention to it.

- Falses noticeably less than the Whistler 1490 I had previously, however from my limited experience tonight, I'd have to say range is roughly equivilant. I'll update on that impression as I gain more experience with the RX65, but I will say I was always blown away by the range on the Whistler 1490 (it was a top of the class detector when I bought it, with good reason). It is hardly "virtually free of falsing" as it claims, but still does an excellent job.

- I love the mute button on the power plug and the automute feature!

Professional

hum so you where very happy with your whistler 1490 but are you even happyer now with your bel unit?let us know

Power User

good pick m8, i love my RX65

Professional

I found the X50 to have faster detection of photo radar than the RX65 marginally, and better than the old V1 (not the newest EUR V1, which may be better, haven't tested it yet). Everything was on Highway.

Try it out if you can... maybe you will also find X50 to be more sensitive to photo radar too!

Good Citizen

Default Never Owned A BEL

I have never owned a bell product, I have been watching the reviews. I own the other 2 of the big 3, maybe me wife need's a RD! LOL

Experienced

I do love my RX65 even more, although I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet. I have this big silly test in a week that I am studying my nards off for, ruining all my fun. At the end of the month, I'll be doing an approximately 5000k roadtrip, so I should have some good opinions soon! :wink:

To you guys that have your RD hardwired, do you have it hardwired in such a way that you can hide your cord completely should you be pulled over? I've been trying to decide exactly where to route the cable and the little control panel thingy on it. Hmm.

Power User

man since ive had my RX65 I have never seen so less police on the road....man I hate that

Experienced

They must know you got one and have just given up.

I know what you mean tho.. I would never really describe Alberta or BC (where I do most f my driving) as having an excessive number of speed traps in my experience, especially in light of what some other users have posted on these boards. I'm okay with not putting my new RX65 to the test too quickly , yet I do want to gain more experience with it and learn about how it reacts to threats!

Experienced

Went for another drive tonight, the sun was out, the tunes were cranked and the highway was wide, flat and empty. I wish all driving could be like that!

I'm starting to feel the love growing! The false filtering is noticeably better than my Whistler 1490, although it wasn't bad at all, so to me that says a lot. Detected two spped signs, K band, one about 1km away, the other about 2.4km away. Very impressed!

Also found a mounty on the hunt with K band moving in the opposite direction. Had a mid-strength alert out of the blue on him at what I'm estimating to be about 1.2km away based on our speeds and my odometer which I was watching, which laster for about 2-3 seconds, then stopped cold for about 3-4 seconds; I'm guessing the gun was turned off, but something between us could have blocked the signal I'm sure. The signal then came back at a 4, and continued to increase to 9 until it he was almost beside me when it dropped right off. I was the only car around (hard to travel in a pack on en empty highway.. heh). From the initial blast I had plenty of time to slow down. Having said that though, I think my Whistler would've given me similar detection and warning, although I probably wouldn't have reacted to it as strongly as it does false more often.

Still "waiting" to put it up against laser (and Veil) to see how it does.

I've seen two complaints about the RX65 on these boards, one being that it never gets to full strength, and FWIW, my unit definately goes to full strength, and has only done so on legit threats which is awesome (this mountie and speed signs). The other complain is it's volume. If my stereo was any louder it would've been uncomfortable, and I did hear the detector just fine (couldn't hear the voice alerts, but that's no biggie). It wasn't blaringly obvious, but still easily heard.

I really like my Whistler 1490, and the RX65 has impressed me even further, namley on account of the superior filtering (and that's with POP on).

Cheers!