Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Safety versus Revenue

Just curious: For all those professional traffic enforcement officers out there. Why not do the following in the interest of traffic safety, enforcing the law, etc.etc.:

1. Always travel with your radar in constant on mode. That way, all radar detector users will know about you (even cobra users) and slow down. Thereby slowing others down, especially on two lane roads. Everyone Wins! You are enforcing the law, and saving people money at the same time!

2. Never hide behind a bush, a tree line, or over a hill in an attempt to ambush drivers. Park in the open, let everyone see you, and they will slow down. Again, Everyone Wins! You are enforcing the law, and saving people money at the same time!

3. And if you do happen to pull someone over, issue warnings, instead of revenue producing tickets, which still means that you are enforcing the law without costing people unnecessary time and money.

It only takes one person to make a difference.

RadarBusters Associate

Default Re: Safety versus Revenue

this is a great article to read

Are We Ticketed for Safety?

Good Citizen

Hey, that was a good article, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RadarGoat View Post
    Just curious: For all those professional traffic enforcement officers out there. Why not do the following in the interest of traffic safety, enforcing the law, etc.etc.:

1. Always travel with your radar in constant on mode. That way, all radar detector users will know about you (even cobra users) and slow down. Thereby slowing others down, especially on two lane roads. Everyone Wins! You are enforcing the law, and saving people money at the same time!

2. Never hide behind a bush, a tree line, or over a hill in an attempt to ambush drivers. Park in the open, let everyone see you, and they will slow down. Again, Everyone Wins! You are enforcing the law, and saving people money at the same time!

3. And if you do happen to pull someone over, issue warnings, instead of revenue producing tickets, which still means that you are enforcing the law without costing people unnecessary time and money.

Because it is an un-declared War on drivers .

During a slow down on speed enforcement because of
    a work conflict , the staties refused to give speed tickets .
    During the same period (4 months) the rate of accidents
    on highways did not increase ...so much for their rethoric
    about $afety .

They did do as you say : be visible and sleep in their cruisers .

Now , many lawyers live well from this ticketing racket ...so nobody ,
    except us will complain

This site would not even exist

Road : the last frontier of freewill ....here , speeding over a certain limit
    gives you a criminal case ....speed talibans have the control
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Radar Fanatic

I believe there are many officers who believe in the safety aspect of their jobs ... they are essentially brainwashed about safety at the CHP academy for example ... however, in the real world the bureaucrats run things and they are all about revenue.

I agree though, if safety were the #1 goal, then the police would be as visible as possible. No unmarked cars, hiding, slick tops, etc. I got stuck behind a CHP yesterday for 6 miles and didn't break the law once the whole time.

Professional

It is all about money. Pretend the only code that could be used was "unsafe speed for conditions." For one, I would actually think that the law was reasonable. Two, if conditions permitted driving say... 100mph down an interstate, it would be ok because it was safe to do so. I think it would be safe to do so if weather was good, if vision down the road was good, if traffic was light and flowing. Actually, I wouldn't speed at all if I didn't think it was safe to do so.

If it is clear and open, I'll drive as fast as I want. Sometimes 120+ out in the country. If I think it is unsafe, I drive accordingly.

Money Money Money. They need it.

-Oyu

Speed Demon

I'm sure officers across the nation are hurriedly adopting all three suggestions as we speak

Let me brake this down for you.

Well, here is why we don't......

Why don't you just drive with the flow or at speed that way you won't have to worry about where we are and "slow down" when your radar detector goes off. Dollars to donuts you crank it back up when you are in the clear.

...that way you know where we are at and again, crank it up when you don't see us.

So, just give out warnings? So then what would be your incentive to obey the law? Just so you don't get inconvienienced? Really? Come on, I can see traffic stops getting even worse then some I put up with now with the lack of respect for the officer and the fact that no consequence will be had you can really let the officer know what an ass he is by stopping you.

I've said before and I'll say it again, there is no compliance without consequences. That's why our kids are the way they are, no consequences for thier actions.

Play the game, if you don't want to participate then drive the limit or keep with the flow. We don't care how you drive when we are around, we want to know your true charactor. How do you drive when we are not around.

Make sense?

Probebly not. That's why I have a job.

F

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    Let me brake this down for you.

Well, here is why we don't......

Why don't you just drive with the flow or at speed that way you won't have to worry about where we are and "slow down" when your radar detector goes off. Dollars to donuts you crank it back up when you are in the clear.

...that way you know where we are at and again, crank it up when you don't see us.

So, just give out warnings? So then what would be your incentive to obey the law? Just so you don't get inconvienienced? Really? Come on, I can see traffic stops getting even worse then some I put up with now with the lack of respect for the officer and the fact that no consequence will be had you can really let the officer know what an ass he is by stopping you.

I've said before and I'll say it again, there is no compliance without consequences. That's why our kids are the way they are, no consequences for thier actions.

Play the game, if you don't want to participate then drive the limit or keep with the flow. We don't care how you drive when we are around, we want to know your true charactor. How do you drive when we are not around.

Make sense?

Probebly not. That's why I have a job.

F
    Hahaha, Radar Goat got owned.

Nice job Fritter. =)

-Oyu

Good Citizen

I refer to the country song that goes something like this..

Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys..(or traffic monkeys)

Cost of detector..$200

Cost of traffic ticket, (including fines, insurance, etc.) thousands

Value of Fritters response.. Priceless! (or Clueless)