Professional

Default Don't Forget to Buckle Up!

The Click it or Ticket campaign begins tomorrow (May 23) and continues through either the first or second week of June.

A lot of police departments nationwide get grant money for CIOT and will be out in full force over the next few weeks to enforce seat belt laws. This is true in both primary enforcement and secondary enforcement states.

The emphasis this year is being placed on night time enforcement as data from last year showed that a large percentage of drivers don't wear their seat belts at night and more fatal accidents occur when the sun goes down.

Chances are some police department in your area will be participating in this campaign so remember to buckle up!

Professional

Default Re: Don't Forget to Buckle Up!

Thanks for this good information. I personally don't worry much about seatbelt tickets, as I always wear mine. However, it is a secondary law where I live. I expect that this means a substantial increase of enforcement on other items like speeding, in order to check for seatbelt use.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by switch626 View Post
    Thanks for this good information. I personally don't worry much about seatbelt tickets, as I always wear mine. However, it is a secondary law where I live. I expect that this means a substantial increase of enforcement on other items like speeding, in order to check for seatbelt use.
    Right on.

Grant money is still given to departments in states where seat belt laws are secondary enforcement. In fact, sometimes more money is given to these states (and departments within them) than primary enforcement states because drivers are a little bit more relaxed with seat belt use since they know they can't be stopped solely for that reason.

Speed enforcement is a big thing that coincides with CIOT, especially in secondary enforcement states. Officers can pretty easily set up and enforce speed, and as they approach the vehicle, see whether the person is wearing their seat belt or not. Another measure used is stop sign enforcement...when drivers are stopping at a stop sign, one can pretty easily see if the driver is wearing his/her seat belt or not.

That's just a few more things to throw out there... CIOT is a big thing across the entire nation so it's important to remember to follow the traffic laws during this time.

Good Citizen

I'm not sure if this is related to CIOT or not, but they were enforcing speed heavily around here last night. And I actually saw a local using laser (first time ive seen anybody but highway). *sigh* Time for jammers....

Power User

I think it is stupid to not wear your seat belt, but it doesn't always prevent you from getting killed in a car crash. I think it should be a personal decision rather than a mandate.