Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Can a LEO break the law to give you a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by teeto View Post
    You have no idea that wasn't an emergency situation. Lights or lights and sirens are not always used in emergencies. You, as well as 99% of the general population, have ZERO clue as to police tactics and policies. Not trying to be a dick, just stating a fact.
    Correct but if they are speeding like crazy they do use lights they have to ......other wise people won't see them and get hit by them ....

Lead Foot

They don't have to. They can drive 150 mph without lights if they want. Obviously it would depend on the jurisdiction you are in, some might have legislation obliging a LEO to use lights when speeding.

Where I am, the lights and siren are all about your risk assessment and the harm you could cause by having them on. Basically, would cause more harm by driving 80 mph in a 60 mph without your lights, or with them on? All depending on situational factors.

Having said that, our own policy states that you must have your light and siren on when closing the distance on a vehicle. Again, this is policy not legislation.

Just like everywhere, if you crash without your lights, guess what the first question will be...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    Bottom line is, you may choose to have your vehicle searched if the officer ask your permission to do so and that you know you are not hiding anything from him. I've been searched before and it did not take long to let the officer do it. I think this is the fastest way to move on. The other option is to refuse the search when being ask. Depending on the situation, this will lead to time delays to work, appointment or errands. Most traffic violations don't require searches unless triggered by some tell tale signs as stated above. If you refused to be searched, it just sends out a message of suspicion and expect to have an extended holding time. There is always the proper time and place to where a consent to search has to be done. Think wisely before you make your decision.
    I don't like the idea of compliance for convenience.

I'm a citizen, not a subject.

If an officer has real probable cause, it's their job to articulate it. Otherwise leave me alone and let me get on with my day.

If they want to go on a fishing expedition, then I will refuse.

If he/she tries to delay me after that, I will explore every legal avenue for redress. Including media scrutiny of the officer that harassed me, and the department's policies on the matter. Maybe even political pressure regarding leadership and funding. I won't take it like a good little peasant.

I will basically do everything legally possible to make harassing me an inconvenient, costly, and troublesome course of action for the officer. (even if it takes 10X the time an effort of compliance with harassment on the side of the road.)

The police have a lot of power, but citizens aren't as powerless as it often seems.

Every government agency (police included) has some sort of pressure point(s) that can be accessed by the average Joe. It's just that compliance is often far less troublesome and time-consuming than finding the right levers and pulling them.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    Bottom line is, you may choose to have your vehicle searched if the officer ask your permission to do so and that you know you are not hiding anything from him. I've been searched before and it did not take long to let the officer do it. I think this is the fastest way to move on. The other option is to refuse the search when being ask. Depending on the situation, this will lead to time delays to work, appointment or errands. Most traffic violations don't require searches unless triggered by some tell tale signs as stated above. If you refused to be searched, it just sends out a message of suspicion and expect to have an extended holding time. There is always the proper time and place to where a consent to search has to be done. Think wisely before you make your decision.
    I don't like the idea of compliance for convenience.

I'm a citizen, not a subject.

If an officer has real probable cause, it's their job to articulate it. Otherwise leave me alone and let me get on with my day.

If they want to go on a fishing expedition, then I will refuse.

If he/she tries to delay me after that, I will explore every legal avenue for redress. Including media scrutiny of the officer that harassed me, and the department's policies on the matter. Maybe even political pressure regarding leadership and funding. I won't take it like a good little peasant.

I will basically do everything legally possible to make harassing me an inconvenient, costly, and troublesome course of action for the officer. (even if it takes 10X the time an effort of compliance with harassment on the side of the road.)

The police have a lot of power, but citizens aren't as powerless as it often seems.

Every government agency (police included) has some sort of pressure point(s) that can be accessed by the average Joe. It's just that compliance is often far less troublesome and time-consuming than finding the right levers and pulling them.
    You can always exercise your rights and do what you want to do anytime as a citizen. No one will ever take it away. This is America.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by 904nm View Post
    ... Here's how NOT to talk to a cop ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2zxM7jL7s

LOL
    Last edited by SilvrVette; 11-23-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add URL

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AvsBest View Post
    They don't have to. They can drive 150 mph without lights if they want. Obviously it would depend on the jurisdiction you are in, some might have legislation obliging a LEO to use lights when speeding.

Where I am, the lights and siren are all about your risk assessment and the harm you could cause by having them on. Basically, would cause more harm by driving 80 mph in a 60 mph without your lights, or with them on? All depending on situational factors.

Having said that, our own policy states that you must have your light and siren on when closing the distance on a vehicle. Again, this is policy not legislation.

Just like everywhere, if you crash without your lights, guess what the first question will be...
    In The States they have to use lights and 80 in a 60 isn't a big deal since that's close to the limit I've clocked Leos doing that with a PL3 I'm talking 2x or 3x which I've done going on ride a long

We did 85 to 90 mph in a 35 mph on the wrong side of the road would no lights be ok to you??

Really AND you're a Leo Happy I don't live in Canada the comment of 150mph without lights is just stupid

Lead Foot

You obviously have trouble understanding sarcasm. Crown vic can't even go 150

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AvsBest View Post
    You obviously have trouble understanding sarcasm. Crown vic can't even go 150
    Not all police Car's are Crown vic's some states have Fast Mustangs and Vetts I wouldn't see why Canada wouldn't either