Thread: New x50 User

Default New x50 User

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I purchased my x50 radar detector a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with the performance. Last weekend was my first encounter with Laser and I figured I would share it.

I was traveling south through Syracuse, NY on I-81. Now, I wasn't sure how much laser is really used in my general area so I definitly wasn't expecting it. I came up over the crest of a hill and instantly my x50 showed a full laser hit and I was well above the limit. I slowed right down and expected to get pulled over as from what I understand from your posts, when you get hit with laser, it is an almost instant reading for the officer. I turned toward my dad and told him we were definitly going to get pulled over but we didn't. There were a total of three NYSP cars watching traffic off to the right.

I guess I want to make sure that I undersand correctly that laser is almost instant and that all the officer has to do is hit a reflective part on your vehicle to get an accurate reading. Also, how the heck did I not get caught? Maybe the vehicles in front of me were getting hit with laser and by the time they clocked me I was slowed down enough?

Thanks for the time guys, you run a great forum and I must say it is really interesting to read. 8)

It could have been laser scatter, so you got enough warning... If you have a darker car they could have targeted you and not got a reading right away...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Beanyhead
    It could have been laser scatter, so you got enough warning... If you have a darker car they could have targeted you and not got a reading right away...
    X2

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-Tweezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanyhead
    X2
    X3, i think the color of your car makes a big difference, neighbor is a LEO and i often talk to him about such stuff and i have a Mitsubishi Eclipse that is Dark Green and he said with the shape and color of my car it would take a steady hand to get a accurate hit. I think darker cars make a bigger difference then what most think. NOT saying having a black car makes you invincible to laser.... but it sounds like you may of picked up scatter especially if there was alot of traffic(rabbits)

Power User

most 3rd gen LIDAR guns dont care about the color of your car, if youve got un-Veiled headlights and/or a unprotected Front plate, its over , theyre designed that way, now with VEIL/LS and all that stuff color does start to play a part, but not before

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    most 3rd gen LIDAR guns dont care about the color of your car, if youve got un-Veiled headlights and/or a unprotected Front plate, its over , theyre designed that way, now with VEIL/LS and all that stuff color does start to play a part, but not before
    Sorry i didnt clarify, i meant with a car that has laser sheild and Veil.

I agree the car in front of me was probably a "rabbit" and by the time I slowed down they finally had a lock on me. I actually don't speed and got the radar detector as another toy for the truck but this one time I did speed it saved me so this "toy" as already paid for itself. I can't complain!

As I mentioned before this forum is awesome and I have learned a lot. Take care.

Scared the crap out of you didnt it? I have been hit with laser cresting a hill and I jammed on my brakes and didnt get a ticket either.