Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default 9500 ix are you happy with range? mounting?

Just wondering how everyone feels about the range on the ix far as detecting radar. Are you happy with the range? I have had many detector's in my life time and the ix has the most features i have ever seen on a detector. The ix has saved me many times (mostly when the leo is sitting with c/o radar.) or driving down the road with c/o radar on. Their has been many times where i got over a mile in range. But on the other hand their has been some close calls to. Mostly with ka or I/o radar . I understand ka is harder to detect and 35.5 is just hell. So how do you feel about the range on the ix ?

Also i understand it is better to mount high as you can for radar and low for laser. But does it really make a big difference? I have done some testing high vs low and its about the same. Would you say it makes a difference far as where the detector is located? left by the driver or center or right of windsheild. I know alot of people put their detector high left to the mirror.

Banned

Default Re: 9500 ix are you happy with range? mounting?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeltrk View Post
    Just wondering how everyone feels about the range on the ix far as detecting radar. Are you happy with the range? I have had many detector's in my life time and the ix has the most features i have ever seen on a detector. The ix has saved me many times (mostly when the leo is sitting with c/o radar.) or driving down the road with c/o radar on. Their has been many times where i got over a mile in range. But on the other hand their has been some close calls to. Mostly with ka or I/o radar . I understand ka is harder to detect and 35.5 is just hell. So how do you feel about the range on the ix ?

Also i understand it is better to mount high as you can for radar and low for laser. But does it really make a big difference? I have done some testing high vs low and its about the same. Would you say it makes a difference far as where the detector is located? left by the driver or center or right of windsheild. I know alot of people put their detector high left to the mirror.

I too have had long range and surprisingly short range with all my 9500's. But the sorter range was understandable because of curves in the road or obstructions. I have had too many saves to count them all though.
    I prefer high and to the left of mirror, for technical reasons as well as personal preference.

Experienced

A high mount is good so it can have a clear view of the road and not be obstructed by a sheet metal barrier of the car ahead with a high mount radar can travel over glass better than metal so the cars in front won't reduce the range to much.

While on a long interstate road trip a couple of years ago, I ran my 9500i rather than my STi during the day since my 9500i had slightly better range along the relatively straight I-20 highway. I then switched to my STi for night driving since it is stealth and since I had custom dimmed its displays so that only I could see the displays.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeltrk View Post
    Also i understand it is better to mount high as you can for radar and low for laser. But does it really make a big difference?
    There's really not much point in counting on your RD for picking up laser. Might as well mount high.

Radar Fanatic

With FHP I get really short warnings but with other agencies I get plenty of warning. I think the FHP is just angling their guns to decrease how much signal goes straight down the road.

i think mount it low is better i have used mine twice since i purchased it i like all the new features as well
    Last edited by jrock23; 05-12-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Radar Fanatic

^ my first 3 years or so with an RD I had it mounted low. Once you go high you realize that its better and I have never looked back since.

Radar Fanatic

I sent mine back due to poor range and it came back working well. it picks over-the-hill radar (K and Ka) pretty well, but around-the-curve radar....mmmm...it's just "ok".

For that reason, I will never mount my ix anywhere other than in the center of the windshield. (and high) Either side of the RVM means risking a little more "off axis" detection than I have to. (because of the slight curve to the windshield)

My Rev 5 (S7) X50, and V1 both do much better when the radar is around the curve.

However, over the hill encounters have been impressive with my ix. Not as good as my V1, but "on par".

Radar Fanatic

I have been impressed with my 9500ix. Its the only detector I've owned besides a Cobra so I can't really compare to anything else.

Mounting location makes more of a difference on laser than radar. I mount for convenience. I like to mount high in my car and my dads car but I like to mount low in my mom's Camry. Why? I don't know.
    Last edited by stlcardsfan; 05-11-2009 at 07:48 PM.