Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default New member, Panhandle of OKlahoma!

Hey guys! Just thought I'd take a sec and introduce myself. My name is Case and I found this site a couple of days ago, after I had already purchased my current RD, a Whistler XTR-195. I now wish I had gotten on here and read a bit before beginning my web search for a RD. It works just fine, and will serve its prupose for the time being, but I hope to upgrade it in the near future to a Passport 8500 X50 or better. I'm also considering the Veil coating, and of course Laser countermeasures are peaking my interest the more I read as well. But a good RD is my biggest priority. My car is in my sig, with a handful of my ever growing mods, and I'm a well known and respected member of several of the Mazda 6 forums. The main reason I joined this forum was to expand my knowledge of detectors and countermeasures, and to improve my driving. From what I've seen this community is very respectful, helpful, and knowledgeable in all of these areas.

I very much look forward to my time here with you all.

EDIT: I live in a rural area, and get an equal amount of city/highway time. I'm open to any and all suggestions on detectors.

Power User

Default Re: New member, Panhandle of OKlahoma!

Welcome. I would immediately buy a more expensive rd. I hate to say it but I feel the 8500 is probably the cheapest yet somewhat effective model out there. I'm not to sure about the laser situation in Oklahoma so I can't give any advice about it.

snoopyc4

Welcome to the forum. The X50 would be a nice upgrade but there are better RDs out there; it all depends on how much you want to spend on your next RD. Lots of info available on this forum so read up. Veil is a nice passive countermeasure but a laser jammer comes first.

Radar Fanatic

Welcome fellow Okie. I am running the X50 and the V1. You definitely need to upgrade your RD when you are able. The 8500 will serve you well, good bang for the buck.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. The X50 would be a nice upgrade but there are better RDs out there; it all depends on how much you want to spend on your next RD. Lots of info available on this forum so read up. Veil is a nice passive countermeasure but a laser jammer comes first.
    Thanks snoopy! I'd like to get an RD thats in the price range of what the X50 goes for, higher or lower. I'm hoping to be running the V1 one day. But I don't have a ton of money to spend. Which is why I'd probably get the VEIL first as well, not alot of laser used where I live, except in school zones. I have alot of cop friends in this area, and I've asked them what they use where. But I do also do alot of driving in Kansas and Texas, with trips to Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona a few times a year to see family.

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Welcome fellow Okie. I am running the X50 and the V1. You definitely need to upgrade your RD when you are able. The 8500 will serve you well, good bang for the buck.
    Thanks man! What part of Oklahoma are you from??
    Last edited by M6speed; 01-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by M6speed View Post
    I'd like to get an RD thats in the price range of what the X50 goes for, higher or lower.
    The V1 is only $60 more expense than the X50 and has better overall sensitivity than the X50:

Radar Detector Tests and Reviews by Guys of LIDAR - LASER

I'd upgrade to a new RD before I buy Veil. Veil alone won't save you from police laser unless you can make your car as dark as this one:

Newcomer

Well in that case, I guess I'll be looking for a V1! And yes, of course the RD upgrade will be done before purchasing VEIL. Thanks for the info Snoopy!

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by M6speed View Post
    Well in that case, I guess I'll be looking for a V1! And yes, of course the RD upgrade will be done before purchasing VEIL. Thanks for the info Snoopy!
    And thank you for taking my advice. Keep us posted on how the V1 performs.

Newcomer

Just got to figure out how to fit it in with all of my other planned mods this spring. Oi, cars are expensive toys... but so worth it!

Mobile Installer

Welcome to the forum.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."