Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default what do you use to mount your jammer heads?

i remember hearing something about 3M tape that was good for mounting jammer heads...is this true? the past two times i've mounted my ZR3 i've used gorilla tape and its held pretty solid for the most part but im just curious if theres anything better and less ugly that works just as well. thanks!

Old Timer

Default Re: what do you use to mount your jammer heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    i remember hearing something about 3M tape that was good for mounting jammer heads...is this true? the past two times i've mounted my ZR3 i've used gorilla tape and its held pretty solid for the most part but im just curious if theres anything better and less ugly that works just as well. thanks!
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...highlight=tape

The 3M Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding tape that I speak of in this thread referenced is used in OEM applications to affix everything from various vehicle emblems to even aerodynamic garnish and protective trim.

It'll hold, through all kinds of weather, through all kinds of temperatures.

There's rumor that I've heard from someone who works in the automotive repair/body industry that at least for "industrial" applications, now (i.e. supply to OEM), this tape comes in "black." I've yet to see the black tape on any auto-parts retailer's shelves, though.

Professional

how hard is it to get off if you want to take it off for some reason? the white is probably best for me since my car is white

Advanced Member

I use 3m weather resistant double sided outdoor tape...TO get it off I need to use a hairdryer or heat gun

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    how hard is it to get off if you want to take it off for some reason? the white is probably best for me since my car is white
    ^ Unfortunately, no white - only the grey - and the black I still haven't seen as available for retail/open-market.....

You should be able to get various "Industrial Strength" adhesive tapes, though, in "white," but I can't say anything about how well these may or may not work, even if good surface-prep (as I described for the 3M Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding tape's use - i.e. proper initial "stick" temperature, surface pre-cleaning, etc.) is used.

As for removal, like crazyVOLVOrob said, using a little heat is the preferred method.

If you live in a warmer climate or if you do the removal in the summertime (at >70 deg. F. ambient, in direct sunlight), letting the component sit, exposed fully to the sun, for about an hour will soften up the adhesive enough that you should be able to pull-up/away the component and to insert your removal tool. A hair-dryer can be used, as can a heat-gun, but with the latter, especially, exercise care so as to not burn/bubble your vehicle's finish/paint and/or surrounding trim.

For the "tool," some prefer a hard window-film squeegee, while others prefer specially designed trim adhesive removal tools (small plastic "scrapers") - yet others, like me, prefer to use a length of wax'ed dental floss or even polymer fishing string/"wire," - in a "garrote" style.

The final step, should the removal not be completely clean (the 3M Auto Trim/Molding tends to come off very, very cleanly, unless it's been on the vehicle for, literally, a year or more), you can use either a hard window film squeegee and/or a plastic scraper, combined with some solvents, such as "GooGone" (which makes a "sticker removal kit" that incorporates a handy little scraper tool) to clean away the residual. Usually, unless the surrounding paint has seen several years' worth of road-grim and weather exposure, no noticeable trace of surface differences can be seen.

Professional

oh..i thought i saw white on the 3m page. oh well, not a big deal!

what if your car is sitting in 90-100 degree weather...wouldnt that soften the stuff up?

this would be the stuff, right?
    link

Old Timer

At those temperatures, yes, it'll soften-up enough that with either enough force/leverage and/or using a removal tool, you'll be able to remove the attached component.

This doesn't mean that your jammer head (or, for that matter, weatherstrip, trim, etc.) will fall off when you're driving in the blistering heat of the desert west , but rather, that under such conditions by using enough force/leverage and/or a removal tool, you will be able to pry the part off with much more ease than when, for example, the weather's mild and the car hasn't been exposed to direct sunlight.

The mounted components will be plenty secure.

Just remember to properly prep the mount surface prior to "sticking," and be sure that the initial adhesion occurs under optimal conditions, and you'll be just fine.

----

With regard to the specific product, unfortunatley, I'm honestly not sure if the one you linked is the right one.... I don't have a product-number handy, as I no longer have my current roll's retail blister pack. ops:

To top it off, 3M's website, to me, is quite confusing, as it lists many different yet all very similar products (and guess what, you're right, there's one "Automotive" tape that is WHITE !!!!)....and it seems to me that the product you listed is compatible for this particular use/purpose, however, why it is not directly listed under the "Automotive" section, I'm not sure?

Wish I could help better, bro, but I'm just another hobbyist - a weekend shady-tree greasemonkey wrench - and I have no direct professional knowledge in this area. ops: :?

Professional

hey well you've been a big help to me who knows nothing about this sort of thing at all!

i want a more permanent way of mounting my jammer heads without having gobs of gorilla tape to hold it in place

heres what i had before, i cant imagine keeping it on this way is the best for either the car or for holding it in place. i often had to check and make sure it was still level and add a bit more tape now and then to get it back up after a car wash or something. i had two longer pieces over the mounting bracket and the rest of what you see there is just to keep it level and in place. i wasn't holding it on with only the tape going from the car to the bottom of the unit.

Old Timer

^ No problem at all - glad to help.

As a hobbyist wrench who installs my own bolt-ons and other modifications, I tend to make improvements by making mistakes - "hard lessons," if you will. ops:

What you posted, as you mentioned, looks less than ideal, and definitely, I'd worry about "weather" concerns.

The 3M Automotive Trim/Mo(u)lding tape we're talking about here will definitely hold through any car-wash or driving rainstorm - just as the factory aero-trim, protective bumper strips, and also my aftermarket badging and cosmetic trim have stayed on, I am certain, as a fellow ZR3 owner, that this tape, when properly applied, will definitely hold the ZR3's heads, unless, of course, you ram your lower bumper into some snowbank.

Car-washes should prove to be of no concern.

Where necessary, I would double-up on the tape and/or use plastic/nylon washers as shims to help achieve alignment/leveling.

Professional

i have used washers etc to make the heads level. that is key especially on my vehicle

when you mounted yours, did you place your level on the tops of the heads or the bottoms? before i took mine off a few days ago, i had it level to the bottom and it worked in a number of encounters. however, i placed a level on the top and it showed that they were definitely not level compared to the bottom...