Default Jammer laws in VA?

Does anyone know / can post the VA anti-jammer laws? I know that for RDs it is a $96 fine and they don't confiscate the unit. I am just wondering what happens if someone gets busted with a jammer in VA. What is the fine? Will it be confiscated?

Also, is it really hard to get busted? There doesn't seem to be much talk at all about people getting caught with jammers even though quite a few laser guns can detect jamming.

OK so they fall under the same law as detectors. But if the officer decides he wants to confiscate it and return it to you in court, what do you do?? It's wired throughout the vehicle!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt
    OK so they fall under the same law as detectors. But if the officer decides he wants to confiscate it and return it to you in court, what do you do?? It's wired throughout the vehicle!
    Offer evidence good enough that you have a laser jammer without taking it off if the LEO doesn't come up with a way to do so. Virginia LEO's are smart so when they bust people the LEO would probably have a way to "collect evidence" without confiscation like they do for almost all radar detector tickets.

No matter what happens, the outcome of getting busted with a laser jammer is still better than getting a speeding ticket by laser even if the ticket was for 1mph over the limit. BTW, speeding 8mph over the limit in Virginia is the exact same cost as radar detector/laser jammer violation which is $40 plus the processing fee if you prepay or court fee if the accused goes to court. It cost the same whether you chose to go to court or chose to prepay because both fees are about $60. Total cost for getting busted with one = About $100. But if you get caught speeding you also get points, there are no points for detector/laser jammer ticket.

There is no point in going to court for a violation of this code unless it was confiscated. I think most people would just pay the ticket when they are issued the summons (when it's not confiscated) unless the person is ignorant.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt
    Offer evidence good enough that you have a laser jammer without taking it off if the LEO doesn't come up with a way to do so. Virginia LEO's are smart so when they bust people the LEO would probably have a way to "collect evidence" without confiscation like they do for almost all radar detector tickets.

No matter what happens, the outcome of getting busted with a laser jammer is still better than getting a speeding ticket by laser even if the ticket was for 1mph over the limit. BTW, speeding 8mph over the limit in Virginia is the exact same cost as radar detector/laser jammer violation which is $40 plus the processing fee if you prepay or court fee if the accused goes to court. It cost the same whether you chose to go to court or chose to prepay because both fees are about $60. Total cost for getting busted with one = About $100. But if you get caught speeding you also get points, there are no points for detector/laser jammer ticket.

There is no point in going to court for a violation of this code unless it was confiscated. I think most people would just pay the ticket when they are issued the summons (when it's not confiscated) unless the person is ignorant.
    So the question is... is it a double offense for having a RD and jammer? Or just a one time "interfering with police radar/laser" offense?

Professional

easy way around that, "they are integrated as one unit". and to make that a legal way, hardwire a kill switch to both, then in fact they are one unit together. problem solved, one unit, one ticket for "both"

Good Citizen

Be careful in Virginia not to go 20 mph over the limit anywhere or over 80 mph on the Interstates. Virginia has ridiculously steep fines and charges for speeds at these levels. I know because I was charged with reckless driving (a criminal offense) last summer for being paced at 85 near Richmond. It cost me $1500 for an attorney to get the charge dropped.

I'm a Maryland resident by the way and had no idea of the fines you can get nailed with in Virginia. There's no sign at the borders other than radar detectors being illegal. Incidently, the state representative who pushed the legislation through for the high fines publicly admitted he regularly speeds at least 10 mph over the limit. Go figure.

when were the fines raised in VA? I got a ticket there about 10 years ago for going 88 mph in a 65 zone. the fine was less then $200 I think it was $187 if I remember right.