Newcomer

Default Laser Jammers in Nova Scotia

I was wondering what the law says about the use of laser jammers... Anyone know? I know that radar jammers are illegal because they scramble a radio signal which is in violation with the CRTC. But what about light beams? Isnt that what laser is? I'm thinking of buying one, but don't want to violate any more laws than I already do, lol.
    Thanks

Yoda of Radar

Actually to my knowledge radar jammer is barred by Industry Canada. CRTC is just radiotelecommunications example TV.

Laser of course not jurisdiction of Industry Canada. Actually is jurisdiction of Health Canada under Radiation Protection xxx similar to situation in USA.

Check NS HTA for any interdiction, probably illegal like the detector.

Newcomer

I hate to sound uneducated, but what is ns hta? I know what I'm in for with a radar detector, I just want to know what I'd be looking at if I got caught with a laser jammer.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hwudoin
    I hate to sound uneducated, but what is ns hta? I know what I'm in for with a radar detector, I just want to know what I'd be looking at if I got caught with a laser jammer.
    NS HTA = Nova Scotia Highway Traffic Act

In Ontario we have Ontario HTA where all RDs and LJs are strictly prohibited and I bet you $1 mil that it's exactly the same in your province and pretty much everywhere east of SK...

Newcomer

Radar detectors and laser jammers are illegal throughout Nova Scotia but you can buy and have them installed in Halifax, Go figure!!

Yoda of Radar

Nova Scotia is nice though :P If there was anywhere to work there I would go

Lead Foot

Nova Scotia law is almost identical to the Ontario law. Use of speed measurement warning devices are prohibited.

Speed Demon

Legality of a device is determined by what the product is designed and marketed to do. Any product can have "unintended side effects".

So if, say, a product was marketed as a parking sensor. If its documentation says nothing about it being designed to, or useful for jamming police laser, then the fact that it may happen to do so is just, well, too bad for police laser.

I ran this question past a prosecuting attorney who works for crown counsel. I won't say which province, if that's alright.

You might check out the Laser Park Pro.