Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leveling laser jammer heads...

Hi everyone,

I thought that I would pass the following along...

Some bubble levels use a fairly viscous fluid within the bubble levels -- viscous enough that it can take up to 20 seconds for the bubble to settle down to indicate whether the bubble level is level or not. We use bubble levels on our large telescopes to indicate when the telescope is pointed exactly at the zenith (straight up) or if the telescope is pointed exactly horizontal and parallel to the distant horizon.

The cheapest and very accurate bubble level which I have found which also does not use a viscous fluid within the level is a fairly small bubble level sold by ACE Hardware. The level has a white plastic case and is the size of a pen. It also has a metal pocket clip on one end and has a small magnet on the opposite end. The bubble level within the white plastic case is dead on accurate, and the bubble level installed in the white plastic case is accurate to within 10 arc minutes or 1/6 of a degree.

I don't know the ACE part number, but I thought that I would pass this info along since this described ACE level is by far the cheapest yet extremely accurate level which I have found to date. The levels are so accurate that, when I point one of our telescopes at the zenith based on the levels and then tell the control software that the telescope is pointed exactly at the zenith, I can shoot a shot with the telescope's CCD camera and find that the the pointing error either left-right or up-down generally is less than 10 arc minutes or within 1/6 of a degree. That is pretty darned accurate for any bubble level -- no matter how cheap or how expensive!

Speed Demon

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get one this weekend.

Power User

Default Re: Leveling laser jammer heads...

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Hi everyone,

I thought that I would pass the following along...

Some bubble levels use a fairly viscous fluid within the bubble levels -- viscous enough that it can take up to 20 seconds for the bubble to settle down to indicate whether the bubble level is level or not. We use bubble levels on our large telescopes to indicate when the telescope is pointed exactly at the zenith (straight up) or if the telescope is pointed exactly horizontal and parallel to the distant horizon.

The cheapest and very accurate bubble level which I have found which also does not use a viscous fluid within the level is a fairly small bubble level sold by ACE Hardware. The level has a white plastic case and is the size of a pen. It also has a metal pocket clip on one end and has a small magnet on the opposite end. The bubble level within the white plastic case is dead on accurate, and the bubble level installed in the white plastic case is accurate to within 10 arc minutes or 1/6 of a degree.

I don't know the ACE part number, but I thought that I would pass this info along since this described ACE level is by far the cheapest yet extremely accurate level which I have found to date. The levels are so accurate that, when I point one of our telescopes at the zenith based on the levels and then tell the control software that the telescope is pointed exactly at the zenith, I can shoot a shot with the telescope's CCD camera and find that the the pointing error either left-right or up-down generally is less than 10 arc minutes or within 1/6 of a degree. That is pretty darned accurate for any bubble level -- no matter how cheap or how expensive!

What section of the store is it in, sometimes these items are at the register, that is why I am asking. Also, how much is it?

Old Timer

Coolness, I'll have to get one when I go by an Ace.

Do you know how accurate the levels are that come with some of the jammer systems?

Old Timer

Cool, lacning and MEM-TEK ! Thanks! 8)

Speed Demon

Maybe I'm paranoid, but could that small magnet hurt anything?

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Coolness, I'll have to get one when I go by an Ace.

Do you know how accurate the levels are that come with some of the jammer systems?
    You get a nice quality one like the one we used today with every LI Purchase!

Cliff - C55

Quote Originally Posted by lacning74
    Yep, thats the puppy! Cheap and accurate as hell. In my ACE these were hanging on the peg board near all of their other levels.

Quote Originally Posted by lacning74
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but could that small magnet hurt anything?
    Its a powerful magnet which probably could erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards. Use a pair of pliers and pull out and discard the magnet if you are overly concerned about the magnet affecting anything.