Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Street Lawyer

Default Re: Think there would be any interest in an American made open source LJ

Quote Originally Posted by KustomEagle View Post
    Hey guys;

I've been talking with Lucky225 and throwing around the idea of building an open source laser jammer built here in the states. Not just some cheap pos that happens to confuse a lidar from a distance like a science project but an actual jammer with LI like performance. It would be based on good hardware, it would have the sensetivity of the zr3(4) etc but with a VERY powerful pulsed laser diode or diodes like an le10 but with software control. IT would have a fast user reflashable microcontroller and possibly some sort of lcd display for configuring and alerts. You could set for various levels of stealth for use in banned areas or set it for maximum jamming (a la le10) in non-banned areas or make your own code/algorythms and see how they work.

I've already got some ideas and will probably build a proof fo concept jammer as soon as I have a place of my own and a workbench again. I've also done some research and i'm thinking a you-build-it kit could be put together w/ 4 heads for around 250-300 and a retail assembled kit for < $500 depending on features.

You guys think there would be any interest in this outside of a few geeky members on this board? Maybe I could disguise it as a parking sensor and get a big-box retailer to carry it
    Sorry I *JUST* Saw this thread posted lol... I'm glad there is interest in this because it would totally be bada$$. =)

Legal in 41 States

Default Re: Think there would be any interest in an American made open source LJ

I was thinking:

I have the logitech harmony universal remote control, can we start this project out with an open source LJ tester? We should be able to come up with the correct pulse and have the remote learn it somehow. Or just a way I can build one for around $50 and not $150+.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc View Post
    I was thinking:

I have the logitech harmony universal remote control, can we start this project out with an open source LJ tester? We should be able to come up with the correct pulse and have the remote learn it somehow. Or just a way I can build one for around $50 and not $150+.
    that would be super easy. on hackaday.com there was a guy that made a super simple tv-b-gone. replace the leds with smething closer to 904nm and modify the simple source code and voiala

Good Citizen

Well there have been schematics of a device that can take IR pulses and convert them into sound waves (peaks and lows) that you can see what the binary stream consists of.

LIRC is a project that helps you get started in analyzing IR signals. It's purpose is to disect a remote control to determine what bits control what parts of the device.

I think you can adapt it to lidar since soundcards record at 44khz and most lidars don't shoot that many pulses per second.

i dunno. Just have a read and see if it might be of use.

I take no responsibility to the effects of hooking up an external circuit to your soundcard. So approach that void carefully.

I don't want to post external sites cause i'm not familiar with the rules but a google search of lirc will get you started, I read the first and last links on page 1.

Old Timer

I'm too technically retarded to help - but yep, I'll support a project like this, however I can.

I've always been "pro-Open Source."

I'll Keep this short.
    SIGN ME UP!

Yes I think there would be interest.

Lead Foot

I've wanted an open source jammer to exist for a while.
    (And as mentioned, an open source tester would also be excellent)

It could still be profitable for those that want to sell preassembled kits, but the great thing is it allows smart hobbyists to build their own. If you're on a small budget, you can make it with LEDs. Even with laser diodes, if you've got decent soldering skills you can have a system for less than $100. But I wouldn't worry about it becoming too common as the average joe cannot deal with compiling software and soldering. (The average joe can more easily buy a retail jammer)

I have plenty of experience in both electronics and software...but the algorithms themself scare me away. Of course that's the point of an open source project, where multiple people do the parts they are good at.
    Or you could just be mean and duplicate the output of another jammer....

'' 2 bad you have limited this project to usa... othervise i would like to help and support the project..''

Very interesting ...
    How much cost to hire you as a consultant ?
    After all there is not 100 ways to jam a laser ...
    there is one , and few on earth know how.

I would suggest a PPJ ''pay per jam'' scheme ![replacer_img]

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    '' 2 bad you have limited this project to usa... othervise i would like to help and support the project..''

Very interesting ...
    How much cost to hire you as a consultant ?
    After all there is not 100 ways to jam a laser ...
    there is one , and few on earth know how.

actually there probably is a few ways to jam a gun...

lidars are pretty simple devices when you reall ylook at what they do. it doesn't take much to confuse them.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    LMAO! That's actually a cool idea. Like a cable box. Have the jammer set up to a cellphone network, and anytime it fires, it automatically dials a 900 number that charges you fifteen bucks.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob