Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default The RMR Laser Stik, what it is

I'm sure we all want to know what the RMR Laser Stik actually is and contains. I don't mind throwing a few bucks around to keep this stuff out of hands of people who might actually believe it works plus its fun to drive around with the stuff for a few days and post a review (I feel like I'm doing others a favor). If I was rich I'd buy the rest of those RMR-C450s they keep emailing me about shoot them out of a trap thrower and see how many I could hit. Unfortunately I can't do that but I can try and get the under $10 ones and keep them out of public hands. I've got a nice little collection of their wares here on the shelf that I've snagged off ebay, my goal was to get one of every model (though the newer ones are a tad expensive yet, when they fall in the $5 range I might be interested). If I get enough together maybe I'll make fun videos of stupid things to do with them.

That said the latest thing I came across was an RMR Laser Stik. You can buy one of these on their website for a mere $20 and less than half that if you do some looking around. Who needs a Blinder or LI when you can get this. The RMR consumer must be wondering why people spend so much for a Blinder or LI. There is a simple reason. This thing will be highly unlikely to do anything. Well it actually might do something, waste your hard earned money.

The unit itself is a tiny "jammer head" with a headphone style prong sticking out of it. You can connect this to the RMR remote unit or as it instructs bare the end wires and connect to 12V, red to positive, black to negative (well duh!). Inside the case are 6 LEDs for your "jamming", a circuit board, some surface mounted resistors, a green power LED and surprisingly a clock crystal. That would mean that the device is not just a few LEDs strung together in a case as I had suspected in an effort to blind a laser gun through output (which may have worked only on first generation guns). With the clock crystal it probably is pulsed at some rate. If it weren't so darn cold outside I'd see if it sets off the V1.

If it is pulsed (I see no other reason for a crystal), I'd assume it techically could jam something under the right circumstances (possibly an older gun) except for one problem. 6 LEDs isn't going to be enough to do it. Seeing as that you're supposed to use one of these in the front and one in the rear according to the literature (why is it then that other jammers need a minimum of two heads?) it wouldn't be powerful enough. You may get somewhere with 3 or 4 of them in the front, against a select group of probably older guns on a not so reflective car.

Again I planned on messing around with it, but the temperature outside is rather cold so I'm going to have to postpone this for now.

If anyone in the Buffalo region has any Laser guns and wants to mess around with it let me know (plus I wouldn't mind testing the Blinder M-06s as I'm sure some people want to know if they're still effective at all). If the temp warms up later in the week I'll try powering it up and aiming it at the V1. If anyone wants to test run though I'll probably have to wait until the spring. I don't really feel like trying to install ineffective stuff in the winter.

Banned

Default Re: The RMR Laser Stik, what it is

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    That said the latest thing I came across was an RMR Laser Stik. You can buy one of these on their website for a mere $20 and less than half that if you do some looking around. Who needs a Blinder or LI when you can get this. The RMR consumer must be wondering why people spend so much for a Blinder or LI. There is a simple reason. This thing will be highly unlikely to do anything. Well it actually might do something, waste your hard earned money.
    This is exactly the case. There has been research done on the product before, just got to search around for it.

Also, RMR lol.

Radar Fanatic

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bigalinwv View Post
    lmao.

Radar Fanatic

Its a stik to stir other sh!t from RMR.

Radar Fanatic

Got a pic of a satisfied owner:

rmr.jpg

Experienced

Only found one test of it appearing to use a single head. I can guarantee it won't work as a single head, 6 LEDs isn't powerful enough, plain and simple. However while we know the fact that it is a waste of money as it stands it is better in my hands than someone else hopefully my purchasing of this thing leads someone to seek something that actually works. Sitting on the shelf does less harm than using it though I certainly don't mind experimenting with them a tad for the heck of it.

With this device however I think it may be effective against older guns but the problem is the 6 LEDs in a single head that they recommend. You'd probably have to have two or three heads at a minimum on a more stealthy car for it to have any effect, and then it probably would be against an older gun.

At the time I have one to mess around with but I wouldn't be oppose to trying to obtain 2-4 and seeing what they do. My personal inclination is that it will work against some older guns if you stack a few heads to bring it up to the power level of a Blinder for example.

I'm not going to go out and recommend buying these and stacking a few of them. The effectiveness would probably be limited to less sophisticated older guns and you'd spend as much doing it as you would buying a low end Blinder or even a Lasermask which would work against a lot more guns. My only curiousity would be testing such an arrangement, however unlike radar guns which can be had cheap I don't posess the Laser Guns to do so. So if anyone wants to mess around with it let me know. I'm more than up for it. Until then the Laser Stik will sit next to other useless things like the Phazer on my bookshelf of antiquated Radar Detectors.
    Last edited by man114; 12-13-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    I can guarantee it won't work as a single head, 6 LEDs isn't powerful enough, plain and simple.
    ..and I can guarantee that even if you covered the entire front of your car in 200 RMR laser stik heads, it would jam diddly, old guns or otherwise.

Save your time and energy for more fruitful endeavours.....

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by charles charlie charles View Post
    Save your time and energy for more fruitful endeavours.....
    ... and send your money to GOL for their fruitful endeavours!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    ... and send your money to GOL for their fruitful endeavours!
    ..amen to that my friend!