Newcomer

Default How much light is lost

G'day,

I'm putting Veil on my motorcycle and car. I'm going to purchase some higher wattage bulbs to compensate for the lost light. Does anyone know the approximate % of light lost per layer of Veil? 10%, 20%, or???

Thanks,

Rick

Power User

Mabey a few percent you really don't need new bulbs!

Good Citizen

I didn't notice much, dunno... maybe 5% ? In fact I think it made my car look better. I've heard it does effect HID lights, but haven't seen this first hand.

Professional

It affects HID lights more it seems... I'd say about 10-15% reduction in light, based on Dilip's and my results.

Newcomer

Default Veil and light lost

Thank you!

Rick

Manufacturer

More than light output reduction on HIDs I believe it reduces that harsh and defined lighted area. HIDs have a pattern of light drop-off that is much more defined than "conventional" lighting systems.

Veil softens that appearance somewhat which may give the appearance that light output is reduced more than it actually is.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Professional

Yes that is correct.

In fact veil does not reduce light output so much, it blurs it a bit.

Therefore, if you have a car with the older style headlights (non-projector) type, you will not notice much of a difference in the light output. This is regarless of whether you have xenons or not.

If you have projector lights just like my car, then the light output will be blured and as a result the brightness on the road is reduced. My highbeams and fogs are hardly affected by the Veil because they are not projector lens. But my low beams are.