Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaking

Newcomer

Default Flaking

On my car lights (glass) the Veil is flaking off since I put it on this past Sunday? Did I do something wrong in the prep? how should the headlamps be prepped?

Thanx, Chris

Speed Demon

Ask Sethy, he is the Earl Scheib of Veil application.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    Ask Sethy, he is the Earl Scheib of Veil application.
    aint that the truth....I do body painting that is :wink:

Make sure you are not putting to thick of coats onto the headlight. Also, make sure you are not applying it in direct sunlight or the heat of the day. Also make sure that it is not raining or snowing out, because moisture in the air will affect the veils durability while its drying.

Manufacturer

Another thing that I would add. After shaking the material, wait five to 10 minutes before applying.

The coating will go on much smoother and we have found a direct correlation between coating smoothness and resistance to the premature "flaking" you are describing.

Our next production run will include a revised [multi-lingual] manual which states the preferred waiting period.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

I will take it all off tonight with alchohal and re-apply after waiting 10 mins. The coats were kind of thick. I put a 2nd coat on after the 1st started flaking, and now that one is doing it too.

I will keep you posted. Thanks, Chris

Manufacturer

cjs180,

Generally I would suggest that you avoid appying two coats.

One good coat should be more than sufficient and up to the task.

A second coat may actually weaken the underlying coat as it [may] partially resolubilize the first coat - particularly if it didn't set-up correctly.

When applying it again, try applying a little bit more at the top of the light and let gravity do its work in flow and leveling out. The coating should basically be absolutely smooth in appearance. If you see a lot of visible streaks, the coating integrity may be compromised.

Will be standing by...

VG 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Well I put it on again last night. Took all the old stuff off and then etched the glass with 150 grit sand paper to give it some texture. Then I applied it after waiting 10 min's after shaking. We will see what happens.

Chris

Newcomer

Well I looked at the glass headlights and it is already flaking off? What can I try next? Everywhere else it is not. My turn signals are plastic and it is not coming off. The laser shield it is not coming off either.

Thanks, Chris

Banned

Put some plastic headlight prodector film on your lights(http://www.vacleartech.com/purchase.htm) and then you can put the veil on top of it.

Chris

Radar Fanatic

I initially had some trouble with my glass headlights. The Veil coating was being scoured off by sand from the road. I don't know why it would be "flaking" like that. How cold is it getting at night after you apply?