Professional

Default Airbrush Application

I ordered Veil a month ago, thinking that was all I needed to do. Then I read where there are problems with applying it with the foam brushes supplied, and that it was better applied with an airbrush. So I went to the hobby store, and bought the cheapest airbrush for $20+. Of course it requires air, so I had to pay another $13 for the can of air. Then I saw in the instructions where you need ammonia to clean the paint off, so I got a $2 bottle of ammonia from Wal-Mart. Then I saw where you need to tape off the painted parts of the car to keep from applying Veil to paint, so I bought some painter's masking tape for $5. So now the cost has been increased by $40.

Today, I thoroughly clean the surfaces (day after a car wash), and then had my daughter (she's the artist) paint the lights and license plate cover. The airbrush did not clog, but the can o' air formed ice. Then used the ammonia to spray through the airbrush to clean it. As she said, you can barely see it (even though the paint itself is black).

I applied this the day after applying Aquapel on my windshield, so the thought is I can reapply both every six months, at the same time. On the one hand, I'm glad that the application is so smooth that you cannot see it. On the other hand, it is really hard to believe that this will actually do any good at all. It makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble and expense, especially since I hava dual LI high power jammer.

Now with Laser Interceptor Dual High Power, CR8APL8, Laser Shield and Veil, all applied, the question is whether Veil is an unnecessary extra expense and a waste of time? Another question is whether the cold temperature of the can of air actually hinders the application of Veil, even though it did not appear to.

Experienced

Default Re: Airbrush Application

That's one of the reasons I didn't use liquid Co2. The pressure drops as it's purged from the cylinder making for inconsistent results. I used Nitrogen and regulated it down to 20 P.S.I. which worked great. You could also use a small air compressor or fill a tire tank with air which will be more than enough to complete small jobs with an airbrush as it uses very little volume. You can get small fittings at Home Depot or a hardware store to adapt to your gun.

If I recall, the Veil can said to use alcohol for cleanup. I took the gun apart and soaked the pieces in a small container including the paint resevoir for a few minutes. I then ran the alcohol through the gun to clean the needle and then let everything dry. I did this a number of times already and the gun never clogged and still has a clean spray pattern.

I too have HP heads and questioned whether or not it's worth the effort. Airbrushing was easy, it was the preparation of all the pieces I wanted to hit with Veil that was a pain. I personally haven't tested it yet, but I believe a number of members on here can possibly vouch for its effectiveness. Better be safe than sorry I guess.

snoopyc4

No matter what jammer you have, Veil is never a waste of time. Adding veil to your jammer setup is like adding another layer of defense against police laser. Post some pics of the application. No it'll be even harder for me to get a PT on your vehicle at our jammer meet

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    No matter what jammer you have, Veil is never a waste of time. Adding veil to your jammer setup is like adding another layer of defense against police laser. Post some pics of the application. No it'll be even harder for me to get a PT on your vehicle at our jammer meet
    Well, it will certainly be interesting to test out the system. I look forward to it.