Good Citizen
    A Town in Canada full of LEOs shooting I/O all day long :(

Default Warning to anyone driving through/in British Columbia, Canada!

On September 26th, BC brought in a new speeding law stating that if you are caught speeding 40km/hr (24.8548477 miles/hr) over the posted speed limit, you will be handed a speeding ticket (167$, 3 points), an excessive speeding ticket ($368-$483, 3 more points) and your car will be impounded for one week at your expense. If you are from BC, the insurance premium on 6 points is $300 as well as receiving a Driver Risk Premiuim for excessively speeding of $320 per year for 3 years. So in total you will be paying $1910 plus impound fees in the end if you live in BC. If you do not live in BC, you will be paying $650 plus impound fees and taxi rides to wherever you are going. Don't forget about the extra cost of hotels while you are waiting for your car to be released a week later.

Also, if you plan on drinking, make sure that you don't blow over 0.05% BAC. "Anyone blowing in the ‘warning range’ of between 0.05 and 0.08 faces a three-day driving ban and a $200 fine. A second offense carries a seven-day ban and $300 fine, and a third will lead to a 30-day driving ban and $400 fine."

If you blow over 0.08 then your basically fried. "drivers now face a 90-day driving ban for blowing over 0.08 blood alcohol level. They also will see their car impounded for 30 days, may face a criminal charge and up to $4,060 in penalties.

here is an article on the speeding law: http://www.chbcnews.ca/story.html?id=3550525

here is an article on the drunk-driving law: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...044/story.html

This sucks but at least radar detectors and jammers are still legal here! haha. i want to know what everyone thinks about this and how tough these laws are compared to where you live!

Professional

Default Re: Warning to anyone driving through/in British Columbia, Canada!

I know things are different in Canada and the USA (and even within different states/provinces) but how can you be issued two speeding citations for the same offense? I would think one would get dismissed (if issued in the first place) as that's double the penalty, double the points, etc. for doing one thing. Or is one like a reckless driving citation while one is a speeding citation?

Just seems strange...

You asked about it compared to where we live...25mph over in Pennsylvania would be a $75 fine, and after court costs the total for the citation is $169.50 along with 4 points on your license (6 points can be accumulated, penalties begin at 7 points). Speeding 31 mph or more over the speed limit requires a meeting with the state where they may give you a test, a suspension, or similar penalties. The citation itself stays the same for the most part, just with another point a few more dollars.

An increase of insurance fees based on the points depends on your company. There's no requirements of how much, if any, the insurance increases. It generally does though.

Drunk driving begins at .08...fees usually come out around $1500-$2000 by the time you're done, total, although the fine itself can be $300 and up. It's a misdemeanor offense although the grading changes depending on how many times you've had a DUI previously and what your BAC is...as far as other penalties go, it's just a few days in jail if any; license suspension of a year, that's about it.

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

BC is the new home of sloth drivers(yay?). Sadly the drunks will keep on killing the innocent as the leos are too busy at tim hortons.

Experienced

I moved outta BC a couple years back. I'm glad I'm gone, between the HST, .05 with impared driving and new speeding laws it's turning into the People's Republic of Oppression!

Good Citizen

sounds like Ontario with mountains....... same sh!t over here.

Radar Fanatic

Try and move to Alberta or Saskatchewan...lol

Good Citizen
    A Town in Canada full of LEOs shooting I/O all day long :(

haha yeah. its brutal here, but the cops can be nice.... i got a verbal warning for 27 over the other day (I/O). Im really lucky...