Newcomer

Default Trip to Denver and Phoenix

Hey guys, next week I am going to be taking a trip from California to Denver and then from Denver to Phoenix. I already looked at the radar bands by town thread, but I was just wondering if anybody had any specific information about speed enforcement in the states I am going through. I will be taking the following routes:

From California to Denver I will take one of these routes, not sure which one yet:
    -Either I-80 East thru Nevada, Utah and Wyoming then I-25 South into Colorado
    -or I-15 North thru Nevada and Utah then I-70 East thru Utah and into Colorado

From Denver to Phoneix
    -I-25 South into New Mexico then I-40 West and I-17 South in Arizona

Any additional information on specific speed enforcement tactics in these states would be very helpful. Thank you.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Trip to Denver and Phoenix

I-15 North thru Nevada and Utah then I-70 East thru Utah and into Colorado
    If you take this route, NHP uses 33.8 KA Vegas to Mesquite area. Usually C/O. Watch yourself after you get out of "The Gorge" as you enter St George, UT. UHP likes to hid behind the hills next to the freeway just before St George. I have seen a Moto cop using Laser on the freeway as you pass through St George. A lot of UHP and Sherriff between St George and the "Hurricane" turn off. Chargers and pick ups.

UHP use a mix of C/O and I/O.

There is an undercover dark dark blue(almost black) charger that runs back and forth from about 25 miles south of Cedar City to Cedar City, UT. Watch for a white Mustang GT with a silver stripe around Cedar City. Undercover Sherriff.

Watch yourself around the Beaver area. Usually a UHP or two in that area. Also, just North of Beaver speed limit drops from 80 MPH to 65 as the freeway goes through some hills and turns. UHP likes to sit at last corner at the end(going North) of that section.

I-70 just before Green River is a popular spot for the UHP. Sometimes they sit in the shadow of the bridge and I/O cars coming down the long hill into Green River.

Colorado highway patrol is very selective I/O as far as I have seen. They don't give much of a warning. So, unless you have a high speed rabbit watch out. They don't use their radar until they think they really need it in my experience.

Have a safe drive!

Power User

There is still x band in NM.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by stealthfz1 View Post
    I-15 North thru Nevada and Utah then I-70 East thru Utah and into Colorado
    UHP use a mix of C/O and I/O.

There is an undercover dark dark blue(almost black) charger that runs back and forth from about 25 miles south of Cedar City to Cedar City, UT. Watch for a white Mustang GT with a silver stripe around Cedar City. Undercover Sherriff.

Watch yourself around the Beaver area. Usually a UHP or two in that area. Also, just North of Beaver speed limit drops from 80 MPH to 65 as the freeway goes through some hills and turns. UHP likes to sit at last corner at the end(going North) of that section.

Thanks for posting this info. I'm headed to the Grand Canyon and then up thru Salt Lake city in the next few days and it's good to know. Any tips for Salt Lake City? I probably won't be hauling a$$ anyways from looking at the weather, but one never knows

Newcomer

Thanks for the quick responses guys. If anybody has any additional info to add I would apprecitate that too.

Professional

I just did a run from SoCal to Denver. My goal was to avoid I-70 as much as possible, as I did not want to get stuck in the snow, so I took a southern route. A WAY southern route. I-10 to I-25. The 10 won't be much use to you, but I can give you some hints on I-25.

In Colorado, you will see K-band on I-25. Pueblo locals use it, and I passed at least one highway patrol car shooting K. It's mostly Ka, though. A word of advice: when the signs say stay right except to pass, stay right except to pass! Saw someone get nailed for (I presume) driving in the left-hand lane on their way through.

Cops in New Mexico are douchebags, let me just get that out there right now. I didn't see any X-band, but I also left my V1 programming guide at home. In fact, after finding it, I'm pretty sure I packed it again and now won't see it until I get to Denver. D'oh!

Anyway, back to the NM cops being douchebags, it's centered around the "Safety Corridors" that they have. What's a "Safety Corridor"? I don't know, but they double the speeding fines and camp those things out like it's a donut shop. About 20 miles into my first one, I began to call them "Revenue Enhancement Corridors."

As soon as I hit my first revenue enhancement corridor, the rabbit I'd been following at 90-92 mph out of AZ suddenly got on his brakes and dropped down to 80. He had NM plates, so I figured he knew his stuff, and I slowed down with him. We stayed around 80 for seven miles or so, then I noticed a NM highway patrol car on an overpass heading for the onramp. He hit the highway and SCREAMED past me, then caught up to my rabbit and lit him up. I received no notification on the V1, and judging by that and the positioning of the patrol car, I'm going to assume laser. What threw me is that I was doing 80-82 with this guy the whole time, and I wasn't far enough back for him to speed up without me noticing. He was clocked at (at most) 82 in a 75 and was pulled for it, and probably ticketed. Staties aren't exactly known for giving warnings.

There's a revenue enhancement corridor in Albuquerque on the I-25, and the speed limit jumps around between 55-65 throughout the city, so be alert there. Also, check the weather on your way down. I stayed at my hotel in Albuquerque for about twenty minutes before realizing that I'd better just go to beat a nasty snowstorm to the Raton Pass, which gets shut down as soon as it ices. If that happens, your choices are take the 70 back around to the 15 (or any of the US Highways that go down through AZ) or sit it out for a few days while everything melts.
    Last edited by tjbender; 12-23-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Because driving on the left and passing on the right is frowned upon. Except in England.

Lead Foot

Great post! This insider info is very useful to me. Many thanks for taking the time to post. Happy holidays.

Lead Foot

So far so good. 2 x LI saves in DFW on the way up I-45 (2x truspeed; 1 from rear on overpass, and one unknown, all were night hits). NM safety corridors were all clear when I went through. One I/O at 9 over PSL in Sedona AZ on I-17 w/no takers and Grand Canyon Village is using 34.7. I will report on Utah hits in the comming days. Happy New Year RD.Net...

Dammit, has anyone seen my beer?