Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default New V1 - Settings for NC/SC

I just got my first detector after doing tons of research. I mostly got it for longer hwy trips, but still have it running during my 10 minute commute to work (triad NC). The longer/frequent drives will be to Charlotte and SC. Got a trip planned to FL in May.

I've read about what radar bands are used here and looked at all the different settings for the V1 but I have no good idea where to start as far as adjusting these settings.

I'm getting the LI dual/Redline package within a few weeks as well.

Anyone that drives in these areas with V1 please let me know what settings work well. I thought I knew a lot after doing research but there's definitely more to learn from actually driving with it.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: New V1 - Settings for NC/SC

The V1 is hot out of the box with stock settings. We change them to soften falses from it's super sensitivity.

Advanced Member

The V1 can be set many ways and the basic way is 7 and b arrows down (30 second K band muting) in little l mode and big L mode which alot of users use. Remember muting means TAB VOLUME/ALL LIGHTS ALARM in little l mode (weak X unless a CPU break thru, weak K for 30 seconds unless safety limits are met) and NO ALARM in Big L mode (until any safety thresh hold it met), something Valentine does not tell anyone....
    Last edited by North Alabama; 03-15-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    The V1 can be set many ways and the basic way is 7 and b arrows down (30 second K band muting) in little l mode and big L mode which alot of users use. Remember muting means TAB VOLUME/ALL LIGHTS ALARM in little l mode (weak X unless a CPU break thru, weak K for 30 seconds unless safety limits are met) and NO ALARM in Big L mode (until any safety thresh hold it met), something Valentine does not tell anyone....
    Thanks, yeah I've read about that but wasn't sure if that's what everyone does or if it matters on your area. Those settings are just so you don't hear it alert as loud/often right? I haven't been annoyed by it yet but maybe I'll give this a try sometime.

Advanced Member

Congrads on your research! Running around in the Smokie's area alot, Vascar and tracking is what I fear the most from unmarked autos, have yet to see any laser up that way but I/O'ed some but mostly C/O....

Experienced

Congrats on the new V1!! I just received mine today as well!!

I'm going to run mine right out of the box with X-band off and POP off only because I KNOW that these aren't a threat in my area. Obviously some NC/SC drivers need to chime in on this to verify for your particular area, but I would assume that you could at least turn POP off to help reduce the falses.

Also, I wouldn't mess with any auto-mute settings until you really start to get a feel for the detector. You want to learn where it alerts, how it alerts, and how it performs in all of the various sensitivity modes before you start muting things. Mike Valentine has a very good point by warning people about changing such settings because they could get you in big trouble if you're not familiar with the V1.

Experienced

Yeah I've read that X still shows up in NC once and a while so thats on. But I'll check into if I can turn POP off.

So I've had it for almost a week, and had my first 'encounter' driving to work this morning. My commute is 9 miles, 6 miles of double lane 55mph blvd. I go at most 9 over psl since I have no reason to speed into work (got the detector mostly for long trips).

On the 55mph road I am going 9 over cruise control as usual, traffic is lighter than normal. A car blows by me at least 20 over. So I figured I would practice using a rabbit and let him get ahead about 1/2 mile till I sped up to match him.

We crest a hill and at the bottom there's a cop with his lights on in the breakdown lane. He didn't have any customers, and did a U-turn to set himself up in the medium under a bridge (well hidden) shooting cars as they came towards (or away?).

Just as I passed he was parked and finally turned on his radar. This was the exciting part cus I finally got a real radar alert. Ka full strength and back arrow which I believe was I/O. Pretty cool.

If the cop had set himself up a minute sooner he for sure woulda had my rabbit.

Experienced

Very nice, very nice. I haven't even gotten a single alert on my V1 yet, not even a false lol. That first encounter with real radar has got to be pretty exciting though for a first time V1 owner because you got to see the arrows at work lol.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado12 View Post
    Very nice, very nice. I haven't even gotten a single alert on my V1 yet, not even a false lol. That first encounter with real radar has got to be pretty exciting though for a first time V1 owner because you got to see the arrows at work lol.
    Yeah it was definitely pretty cool and this is the first time I've ever driven wth a detector. Of course I knew it was coming cus I watched the LEO set himself up. I drive less than 100 miles a week when I'm not going out of town on the weekends so I don't see much (got it for long trips which haven't been on with it yet).

No falses though? I would at least drive up to a supermarket with X band on to see it works. I was in a downtown area and got 9 on the bogey counter (A mode and default settings).

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by The Stigs Cousin View Post
    Yeah it was definitely pretty cool and this is the first time I've ever driven wth a detector. Of course I knew it was coming cus I watched the LEO set himself up. I drive less than 100 miles a week when I'm not going out of town on the weekends so I don't see much (got it for long trips which haven't been on with it yet).

No falses though? I would at least drive up to a supermarket with X band on to see it works. I was in a downtown area and got 9 on the bogey counter (A mode and default settings).
    Your first time driving with a detector was with a V1!? That's like a 16-year old getting their first taste of driving in a Ferrari!!

I didn't get any alerts for two reasons. First, I turned off X-band and POP right out of the box, and I mean that literally, lol. I pulled the V1 out of its box, turned it on once to see how it normally started, shut it back off, & jumped into programming and shut off X & POP. Second, the area I drove through had minimal commerical buildings, so it was expected. Today though, I drove quite a bit with a mix of rural and urban, so I got my first alerts. I guess I'm lucky in my area that most of my falses are X-band because I literally got a total of four bogeys in two separate areas the whole drive; even for someone like myself coming from a 9500ix, that was more than tolerable.

The first was a K-band speed sign. I was coming from a street perpendicular to the sign, but once I made my turn, the front arrow of the V1 lit up immediately and jumped up to four bars from a good two miles away. Pretty sweet lol. Once I went past the sign, the arrows did their thing and followed it to the rear, but then the bogey counter jumped up to two for a second K-band door opener up ahead and the arrows flashed front & rear. I think I'll grow to love the arrows, lol.

When I went back by the sign, the rear antenna tracked the sign backwards for roughly 2.5 miles. 2.5 mile range for the rear antenna!! NO other detector on the market, not even the uber-sensitive Sti-R, could've tracked that signal for that long with just a front antenna because this was a rural road without buildings or cars to reflect the signal back into the front antenna. I was very impressed!
    Last edited by Silverado12; 03-16-2011 at 08:05 PM.