Experienced

Default NC to FL Route Help

I'm driving from the triad area in NC to Fort Lauderdale soon. I'll be driving in daylight and shouldn't see much heavy rush hour traffic.

I can either go 74/220 to hit 95 in NC which is 633 miles or take 85 to 77 to 26 to 95 which is 649 all hwy. I'm thinking the longer route will be faster since there are sections that are 45 and 55 mph on the shorter route.

I'll be running trapster and Redline V1 and LI dual. Anyone familiar with the areas I'm driving please give suggestions for which route you'd take and what to watch out for and where for enforcement. I'm worried about rear laser shots in FL so please elaborate on that if you know anything.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: NC to FL Route Help

Quote Originally Posted by The Stigs Cousin View Post
    I'm driving from the triad area in NC to Fort Lauderdale soon. I'll be driving in daylight and shouldn't see much heavy rush hour traffic.

I can either go 74/220 to hit 95 in NC which is 633 miles or take 85 to 77 to 26 to 95 which is 649 all hwy. I'm thinking the longer route will be faster since there are sections that are 45 and 55 mph on the shorter route.

I'll be running trapster and Redline V1 and LI dual. Anyone familiar with the areas I'm driving please give suggestions for which route you'd take and what to watch out for and where for enforcement. I'm worried about rear laser shots in FL so please elaborate on that if you know anything.

Thanks in advance!
    I haven't seen any rear laser shots in FL outside of south FL. You should be fine north of Port St Lucie, though. What you need to watch out for is airplane and helicopter enforcement with VASCAR on 95.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by helix139 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I haven't seen any rear laser shots in FL outside of south FL. You should be fine north of Port St Lucie, though. What you need to watch out for is airplane and helicopter enforcement with VASCAR on 95.
    **** really? I haven't seen aerial enforcement since I knew what it was. Maybe I can hope for low clouds.

Radar Fanatic

comments deleted wrong route,LOL.

Professional

**** really? I haven't seen aerial enforcement since I knew what it was. Maybe I can hope for low clouds.
    VASCAR
    Low clouds wouldn't help with the low altitude they fly for VASCAR, however the threat or rain would. FHP does not fly in bad weather at all.

THX1139 has added many of the areas for VASCAR on Trapster. I have also reported all the same markings to SpeedCheetah for inclusion in the Trinity database. Unfortunately, they have resurfaces the roads alot and painted new lines. The data we reported is now old, but Trapster would be of some value. The main thing is to look for the lines. They will be solid or dashed across the road, about a quarter of a mile apart, in a series of 3 or 4 1/4 mile segments. If it's sunny out and you see that, you might want to at least slow down to under PSL +10 (maybe PLS or +5).

Also, try not to change lanes excessively, this is what the FHP helicopters look for. There are no markings in the road, they follow traffic, so you would never see them.

Radar and Laser
    In Palm Beach and Broward counties, you will see a mix of Ka radar and Laser. Keep a sharp eye on the median, shoulders, and side of the road as far ahead as you can. Their cruisers are easy to spot from the rear, but are dark brown on the front. This makes them hard to spot when facing you. I have seen a lot of IO through overpasses lately, as well as laser from behind the guard rails under the overpasses.

Unmarked Cars
    Many Crown Vics, but also beware of any dark colored Charger, and also of Malibu's. There are also unmarked SUV type vehicles as well. The thing to know is that there is an exception in state law that does not restrict the tint on a LEOs vehicle. Therefore, any car listed above with very dark tinted windows should be examined before passing. Look for any hint of radar equipment on the dash extra antenna's anywhere on the vehicle, or light bars in the rear window.

Toll Booths
    I usually don't like telling people not to speed, but this is one area that warrants it. I see frequently FHP cars on the back side of toll booths running IO on the rear antenna. The speed limits are always lowered here, and you can't see the LEO until it's too late. I have yet to see them using Laser this way, it will certainly be rear Ka (sometimes CO, bot somtimes IO)

Route
    There are good opportunities in and before Northern Palm Beach county to jump to the Turnpike. You will have to pay tolls, but you will save a bunch of time in avoiding traffic. There is lots of enforcement either way, though sometimes I think more so on the Turnpike. Still, you will be much better off this way for the traffic.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by switch626 View Post
    VASCAR
    Low clouds wouldn't help with the low altitude they fly for VASCAR, however the threat or rain would. FHP does not fly in bad weather at all.

THX1139 has added many of the areas for VASCAR on Trapster. I have also reported all the same markings to SpeedCheetah for inclusion in the Trinity database. Unfortunately, they have resurfaces the roads alot and painted new lines. The data we reported is now old, but Trapster would be of some value. The main thing is to look for the lines. They will be solid or dashed across the road, about a quarter of a mile apart, in a series of 3 or 4 1/4 mile segments. If it's sunny out and you see that, you might want to at least slow down to under PSL +10 (maybe PLS or +5).

Also, try not to change lanes excessively, this is what the FHP helicopters look for. There are no markings in the road, they follow traffic, so you would never see them.

Radar and Laser
    In Palm Beach and Broward counties, you will see a mix of Ka radar and Laser. Keep a sharp eye on the median, shoulders, and side of the road as far ahead as you can. Their cruisers are easy to spot from the rear, but are dark brown on the front. This makes them hard to spot when facing you. I have seen a lot of IO through overpasses lately, as well as laser from behind the guard rails under the overpasses.

Unmarked Cars
    Many Crown Vics, but also beware of any dark colored Charger, and also of Malibu's. There are also unmarked SUV type vehicles as well. The thing to know is that there is an exception in state law that does not restrict the tint on a LEOs vehicle. Therefore, any car listed above with very dark tinted windows should be examined before passing. Look for any hint of radar equipment on the dash extra antenna's anywhere on the vehicle, or light bars in the rear window.

Toll Booths
    I usually don't like telling people not to speed, but this is one area that warrants it. I see frequently FHP cars on the back side of toll booths running IO on the rear antenna. The speed limits are always lowered here, and you can't see the LEO until it's too late. I have yet to see them using Laser this way, it will certainly be rear Ka (sometimes CO, bot somtimes IO)

Route
    There are good opportunities in and before Northern Palm Beach county to jump to the Turnpike. You will have to pay tolls, but you will save a bunch of time in avoiding traffic. There is lots of enforcement either way, though sometimes I think more so on the Turnpike. Still, you will be much better off this way for the traffic.
    Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for.

Experienced

Now that I think about it I have a question about vascar and aircraft...

If an airplane gets you speeding what happens next? Cop pull you over when they get to you or do they get your license plate and mail the ticket?

If an airplane gets you speeding what happens next? Cop pull you over when they get to you or do they get your license plate and mail the ticket?
    They will typically have a row of FHP or sherriff's cruisers lined up to go issue extortion notices on the spot.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by helix139 View Post

They will typically have a row of FHP or sherriff's cruisers lined up to go issue extortion notices on the spot.
    Wow. I was wondering why I drove passed a fleet of 6 or 7 cops cars in a grass medium on 85 not running any radar. Could have been talking to airplanes.

Someone should go out at night and paint a few white lines where they set up the vascar lines. Then it'll do them no good