Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default ANYONE FROM TEXAS

Alright guys.. i need some assistance as in i will be moving to Texas very soon.. just outside of Austin( town called Buda). I have little to no knolwedge about this area, as i am from the north (CT). If you have any tips about any of the interstates or Austin Area.. please feel free to add. Thanks - Alex *

Professional

What kind of detector are you running?

Your main threat will be Texas DPS troopers running instant on Ka band @ 34.700 Ghz. I see tons near Austin on the interstates and on highway 67.

They love to sit on the other side of hills not in the median, but 20-30 feet off the road on the shoulder on your right and hit you with a healthy dose of radiation as you come over the hill. They are very smart and selective at what they target.

Austin police are using Laser i hear, so be careful, you might want to invest in some Veil or a jammer from www.radarbusters.com . But wait for the Guys of Lidar testing next month to decide, if you are even considering, to buy a jammer.

Hope this helps, I'll be to your north in Dallas so If you have any questions, theres plenty of folks from Tejas around here. :wink:

Sam 8)

Radar Fanatic

DFW here

austin uses laser and Ka

sometimes they park police cars with no one in it in the median or at the side of the road..... when you get up close there is a sign that says "NOW HIRING"

there are a couple of people from texas on this forum

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed
    What kind of detector are you running?

Your main threat will be Texas DPS troopers running instant on Ka band @ 34.700 Ghz. I see tons near Austin on the interstates and on highway 67.

They love to sit on the other side of hills not in the median, but 20-30 feet off the road on the shoulder on your right and hit you with a healthy dose of radiation as you come over the hill. They are very smart and selective at what they target.

Austin police are using Laser i hear, so be careful, you might want to invest in some Veil or a jammer from www.radarbusters.com . But wait for the Guys of Lidar testing next month to decide, if you are even considering, to buy a jammer.

Hope this helps, I'll be to your north in Dallas so If you have any questions, theres plenty of folks from Tejas around here. :wink:

Sam 8)
    x50.. I modded it for now to have All Bands enabled, till im used to the area. Hmm might have to invest in Veil or a LJ.. Thanks for the info.

Newcomer

Alex - I drive I-35 often DFW to SAT. DPS (Troopers) have been heavy between New Braunfels and Waco lately, not sure if it was the Spring Break thing or what. I see them on the right shoulder tagging people with Ka one after the other.

Make sure you visit Cabela's in Buda!
    By the way, I think it's a Hungarian name.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Evilscott
    Alex - I drive I-35 often DFW to SAT. DPS (Troopers) have been heavy between New Braunfels and Waco lately, not sure if it was the Spring Break thing or what. I see them on the right shoulder tagging people with Ka one after the other.

Make sure you visit Cabela's in Buda!
    By the way, I think it's a Hungarian name.
    I was looking on MQ.. i can see I-35 runs right throught it hmm. [ i assume RD are perfectly legal right in TX ] ?Thanks for the help everyone.. il be sure to check out Cabela's.. thanks.

Professional

Yes they are perfectly legal.

Newcomer

I live in Austin and Dallas. Austin's traffic sucks and you really can't enjoy your car unless you're out late at night in certain areas. They love laser and instant on Ka around here. 35 is littered with DPS that also use laser and instant on Ka. I'd say if you have a vehicle that attracts attention definitely get a jammer and some veil.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd
    I live in Austin and Dallas. Austin's traffic sucks and you really can't enjoy your car unless you're out late at night in certain areas. They love laser and instant on Ka around here. 35 is littered with DPS that also use laser and instant on Ka. I'd say if you have a vehicle that attracts attention definitely get a jammer and some veil.
    I just got into the state and went through 35. i found Ka and K, but wasnt speeding .. il be looking for Laser .

Lead Foot

Definately be wary of lidar. Both APD and the Troopers use it. KA also. APD also uses K,and so do the Constables. I have never come across X and now leave it off. Seems to help keep things a bit more quiet around here.