Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default ONT - OPP officer charged with racing

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_22702.aspx

I KNEW it would happen sooner or later.

Old Timer

thats embarrassing for him

Professional

what's the big deal? if he is in his cruiser , as a cop he can go fast. i have seen many a times higway patrol going atleast 120 mile/hr without lights on. they just zoom by and no one cares here.

i think the rules are good but u cant apply to higway patrol...

afterall arent they trained to go fast and furious and comparing their driving skill to some kid racer is BS.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by guit123
    what's the big deal? if he is in his cruiser , as a cop he can go fast. i have seen many a times higway patrol going atleast 120 mile/hr without lights on. they just zoom by and no one cares here.

afterall arent they trained to go fast and furious and comparing their driving skill to some kid racer is BS.
    Maybe that's the law where you live, but in Ontario, "technically", the cop has to be driving the speed limit unless the cruiser's flashing lights are on.

And (since this law has bugged the **** out of me from the beginning) maybe this will be what it takes to overturn this ridiculous "law."

J/

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by guit123

i would like to see him take an off ramp with his crown vic vs. an evo/sti

Authorities say 42 people have been killed by speeders in the GTA since 1999.

Since the street racing law went into effect, more than 4,500 charges have been laid.
    so let me get this straight 42 people have died in 8 years due to speeding and now with this new law they have charged 4500 people in 9 months.

how can they justify that? thats only 5 deaths per year. at the rate of arrests so far this year that would mean that they will arrest ~6000 total for a 1 year period. that means if they had done the same for the previous 8 years they would have arrested 48000 speeders. now that is just what they stopped which we will say is ~10% of all speeders on the road that would mean that for ~ every 500,000 speeders 42 people died.

this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. they saw a way to generate mass amounts of revenue and took advantage of it. with seizing the cars and up to $10,000 dollars in fines I bet the OPP is making a ton of money. yet the public is no safer now as it was a year ago.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts
    Authorities say 42 people have been killed by speeders in the GTA since 1999.

Since the street racing law went into effect, more than 4,500 charges have been laid.
    so let me get this straight 42 people have died in 8 years due to speeding and now with this new law they have charged 4500 people in 9 months.

how can they justify that? thats only 5 deaths per year. at the rate of arrests so far this year that would mean that they will arrest ~6000 total for a 1 year period. that means if they had done the same for the previous 8 years they would have arrested 48000 speeders. now that is just what they stopped which we will say is ~10% of all speeders on the road that would mean that for ~ every 500,000 speeders 42 people died.

this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. they saw a way to generate mass amounts of revenue and took advantage of it. with seizing the cars and up to $10,000 dollars in fines I bet the OPP is making a ton of money . yet the public is no safer now as it was a year ago.
    Unlike US jurisdictions where the money from tickets goes to the local jurisisdiction--all traffic fines in Ontario no matter where they are laid, get paid to the province. (Stealing a line from RW's repertoire :wink: )--its no coincidence that this law came into effect when we have a Liberal government in power that is classic "tax and spend" and always crying that its broke.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    Unlike US jurisdictions where the money from tickets goes to the local jurisisdiction--all traffic fines in Ontario no matter where they are laid, get paid to the province. .
    The fines go to the Municipality they are issued in. Not to the Ontario government.

That is one arguement in our area.....courts want security, but Ontario won't supply the guards....it's local coffers that get all the revenue from the courts, but Municipality says its a Provincial Court...back and forth it goes.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts
    so let me get this straight 42 people have died in 8 years due to speeding and now with this new law they have charged 4500 people in 9 months..
    The 4500 that is Province wide with all police services combined.

From OPP's 2006 annual report.....
    423 fatal collisions in OPP area, and 13467 injury collisions

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    Maybe that's the law where you live, but in Ontario, "technically", the cop has to be driving the speed limit unless the cruiser's flashing lights are on.
    And (since this law has bugged the *BEEP* out of me from the beginning) maybe this will be what it takes to overturn this ridiculous "law."J/
    Police officers in Ontario are allowed to exceed the speed limit in the lawful performance of their duties as a police officer. There is nothing stipulating when lights MUST be activated and/or siren!

IMHO..if not responding to a priority call (life/death situation or where someone will be injured or officer needs assistance) ...I'll get there when I get there....I have 12hrs of a shift, if I'm over...just submit the OT......certainly not worth a complaint or collision to save 2 minutes to my destination of Tim Hortons (i'll put that in b4 someone else does).
    There is another time to exceed the speed limit....to catch up to a violator.