Professional

Default We can't afford gas, so let's set up speed traps instead!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1006dpsfuel.html

Officers have been ordered to cut their driving by 10 percent a month and conduct stationary enforcements using radar guns on freeway ramps, medians or overpasses instead of patrolling.
    "(Patrolling) is more visible to the public, and they are more apt to observe the traffic laws," he said. "We are still going to be out, and the officers, when needed, will do whatever to get the job done." Highway Patrol officers drive about 20,000 miles per year.
    Actually, I'm far more apt to stay close to the speed limit if I know there's a statey running Ka band under an overpass than I am to stay near the limit if I know they're almost always just racing through the carpool lane at 85 mph and seeing who catches up to them.

Advanced Member

I drove I-90 for 2 exits and I ran into 3 officers set-up using Ka instant-on

I am going to be driving home friday. I am hoping there are alot of truckers out warning me of the speed traps cause I need all the help i can get even with my detector...thank god I got an external antenna for my scanner that is good at picking up CB channels

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

What exits? Can you pick up NYS Troopers "announcing" their speed traps on your portable scanner? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't know how good it'll work here in NY (I'm in Upstate).

Advanced Member

no annousing speedtraps I usuually hear when they got someone pulled over there is another officer near by they like to work in pairs I was traveling exit 42-39

Also scanning in your car is illegal in NY unless you have a ham licence and you will have to show up to court to prove that. I only scan CB channels on NY thruways it's too risky with out a ham licence

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Experienced

How can you get cought? How can be proved that you were scaning other channels than CB?

Speed Demon

I looked in a NYS V and T law book and the way I read it, was that scanning is only illegal if you interfere?

If the cop asks why you have a scanner, couldn't you say you go to NASCAR races a lot with it?

Good Citizen

I dont think it is illegal in NY. I think we should check that. I know it is illegal for tow trucks to have them............. but that is it I think.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    I looked in a NYS V and T law book and the way I read it, was that scanning is only illegal if you interfere?

If the cop asks why you have a scanner, couldn't you say you go to NASCAR races a lot with it?
    In the deep south, that would probably fly, especially in the Carolinas. Most other places with NASCAR action only get races one or two weekends a year.

And it still wouldn't explain why it was plugged in and turned on in your car. You're not going to pick up Dale Earnhardt Jr. cussing out his crew chief at 10:30 PM on a Wednesday in December, ya know?

Advanced Member

Guys i know for a fact they are extremely illegal in NY
    New York State Laws
    New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law prohibits monitoring of police radio communications from motor vehicles unless one is a Peace Officer, has a permit, or is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission as an amateur radio operator. The so-called “ham exemption” is subject to conflicting interpretations, as are certain provisions of the mobile scanner law. New York’s various statutes governing lawful use of radio leave important gaps in their protection of communications that may be essential to homeland security from unauthorized interception and hostile use, while unduly restricting the activities of law-abiding citizens and even public safety personnel. They also appear to conflict with some Federal regulations.

I have written an in-depth analysis of the legal situation in New York. In No Scanner For You? New York's Flawed Approach to Protecting Police Radio Communications From Misuse by Criminals, I offer a summary of the history and previous interpretations of these laws, with special attention to the Vehicle and Traffic Law, a discussion of the idea that we might have a right to listen to police radio traffic, followed by suggestions for possible legislative remedies for the shortcomings of New York State law in this area.
    http://www.nf2g.com/scannist/nys_laws.html#vtl397
    The officer has a right to obtain a search warrant with suspicion and when he does and he finds the scanner he will check the frequency's and if you got a police frequency you are screwed. It's obvious to tell i have a scanner due to the antenna i have on my roof for my scanner. Without my CB i guess they could think its a CB antenna but soon when I get a CB and a huge antenna, thats a problem

I can prove i am scanning CB channels cause the only active group i have on in NY is titled "CB radio's" and you check the frequency of those channels you will see they are CB channels
    Look at this interpeyation of the law

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

Can't a handheld scanner be hid easy? Last time I was pulled over, my car was a mess since I worked so many jobs and had a few uniforms on my driver's seat (in addition to the McDonalds wrappers on the floor). Cop didn't say a word.