Radar Fanatic

Default Arizona, Maryland, Hungary, UK Speed Camera Problems

Arizona, Hungary, Maryland, UK: Speed Cameras Plagued by Accuracy Problems

Arizona, Hungary, Maryland, UK: Speed Cameras Plagued by Accuracy Problems
    Human review of speed camera citations appears not to happen as bogus tickets are issued in Arizona, Hungary, Maryland and the UK.

Cameras worldwide were plagued by accuracy problems this week. In Scottsdale, Arizona, a black man received a white man's tickets on five occasions. Because this man happened to be Larry Fitzgerald, one of the top wide receivers in the National Football League, his case was received the attention of TMZ. In five of six automated ticketing photographs mailed to Fitzgerald, who is black, a white man is unquestionably behind the wheel of a Cadillac Escalade.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety insists that a human police officer personally verifies the each and every photograph before it is issued. No such review took place for the alleged speeding incidents that took place August 23, August 27 (three tickets) and January 5. The identity of the driver in the sixth photo is uncertain. This is far from the first time such an incident has happened. In Louisiana, a white man received a black man's ticket. In 2006, another Scottsdale black man received a white man's ticket.

Click link to read the full story. Speed Scameras.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Default Re: Arizona, Maryland, Hungary, UK Speed Camera Problems

My favorite was the Mobile Van parked next to the Static Camera. Why not park multiple vans. One right after the other. Park 5 vans one right after the other in a 100 meter space.

If you think about it what actually constitutes a violation? What is the minimum period of time that must pass before another citation is warranted? Milliseconds? Minutes?

If I were speeding and passed 6 cameras over a 60 mile stretch and I did this without stopping should I get one citation per camera or because it was one event that spanned 45 minutes should I only be cited for the first camera?

What would a good lawyer say? What would the judge say?

Just wondering

Newcomer

Well, I think its legal: In Switzerland (Europe), there are 20 LMS-06 (mesures the speed with laser and takes the picture with a normal 10 million pixel NIKON camera) between Geneve and Lausanne (only 60 kilometers):

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

If I find a Armored truck open and no one is around and then decide to start taking all of the money out of it bag by bag, let's say 50 bags. Then I walk each bag over to my truck that is 100 yards away, meanwhile no one has come up to stop me and say you are doing something bad. Let's say that it takes me 45 minutes to accomplish this.

Would I be charged with multiple counts of theft or just one?

I would say one.

So is it fair that a ROBOCOP camera takes pictures of me cruising down the same stretch of road and it mails me one ticket for each camera I pass? I think not.

Perhaps the argument would be that there is signage between each of these locations and those signs would serve as my indicator that I am violating the speed law.

This is why we need cops, not cameras. A cop will pull you over, tell you how bad you are, cite you, and send you on your merry way. At this point if you continue to speed it is careless and you either deserve it or are stupid or both.

Newcomer

No, there is absolutely no sign telling you that their is a speed control/radar on the highway !

I absolutely agree with you Stimuli...