Radar Fanatic

Thumbs down Georgia State Patrol: Wants Drivers To Move Over For All Cars

Cops want drivers to move over for all cars on side of road - WALB.com News, Weather and Sports for Albany, Valdosta and Thomasville. Leading the way for South Georgia. |

Cops Want Drivers to Move Over For All Cars On Side of Road

Posted: Mar 24, 2010 4:25 PM EDT Updated: Mar 24, 2010 4:25 PM EDT

Video Gallery
    Move over law a success
    2:09

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –Georgia and national law enforcement groups celebrate a sharp decline in the number of law enforcement officers killed in traffic incidents.

In 2009 no Georgia law enforcement officers were killed by an automobiles while outside their own vehicles. Officers credit the state's move over law.

Now they're asking South Georgia drivers to treat all cars on the side of the road like Police Cars, and slow down and move over.

Georgia and national law enforcement groups celebrate a sharp decline in the number of law enforcement officers killed in traffic incidents.

Traffic officers and troopers admit they are horrified that already in 2010 four people have been struck and killed by cars in Dougherty County roadways. Veteran traffic enforcement officers and troopers say drivers are finally starting to learn and understand Georgia's Move Over Law when they see Police Car's blue lights. But they say most motorists don't show the same courtesy to all cars pulled over at the side of a roadway.

Click the link to read the full story there's a lot more. I smell another law coming to make more revenue

Power User

Default Re: Georgia State Patrol: Wants Drivers To Move Over For All Cars

Well, I do that anyway. Have to admit that Dougherty County has been stepping up ALL KINDS of enforcement lately, from tint violations to running more LIDAR traps...

Lead Foot

Bad thing is, is if you can't move over and you still get a ticket.

This happened to my sister-n-law. A LEO was on the side of the road right at the beginning of the exit ramp, my sister-n-law was trying to get off at the same exit ramp to go home. She couldn't move over due to traffic, and the fact she need to take this exit.. Didn't matter to the LEO, he gave her a ticket anyway.

The Judge didn't care either.

I don't have a problem with this at all. I already do it anyway and if you have ever been stuck on the side of the road it is scary when traffic blasts by you...

Quote Originally Posted by nosbusa View Post
    Bad thing is, is if you can't move over and you still get a ticket.

This happened to my sister-n-law. A LEO was on the side of the road right at the beginning of the exit ramp, my sister-n-law was trying to get off at the same exit ramp to go home. She couldn't move over due to traffic, and the fact she need to take this exit.. Didn't matter to the LEO, he gave her a ticket anyway.

The Judge didn't care either.
    these laws allow for such instances most are written "Move over OR slow down for stopped emergency vehicles"

this means you must slow down to below the speed limit not just slow down.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Experienced

I already move over whe I can. Only prolem I see is with overzealous ticketing.

Professional

Moving over is just common sense.
    One time a guy was changing a flat on the side of the road with his family standing outside including a little kid. That kid darted out into the freeway
    Luckily i had already slowed down and was in the left lane.
    :

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by MOPARado View Post
    One time a guy was changing a flat on the side of the road with his family standing outside including a little kid. That kid darted out into the freeway
    :
    Two young adults were killed and another seriously injured while trying to change a tire on I-185 above Columbus at 3am this weekend.

Why were they halfway in the travel lane though?!?

Douglasville teens killed while changing tire | ajc.com

Quote Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPARado View Post
    :
    Two young adults were killed and another seriously injured while trying to change a tire on I-185 above Columbus at 3am this weekend.

Why were they halfway in the travel lane though?!?

Douglasville teens killed while changing tire | ajc.com
    that was not smart on the teens part. i do not know that road but maybe it was one without a hard shoulder?

they should have driven to a safer place to change the tire. when I got a flat tire a few weeks ago I drove on it till I found a safe place to change the tire. the tire was shot anyway and i would rather replace a damaged rim then loose my life changing a tire.

when I break down I pull over as far over as I can and if possible look for a spot without a guard rail so I can pull onto the grass. usually at highway speeds you can coast to a safe spot.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Me too.

Maybe if the morons issuing the ticket would wise up like the CHP in California, they would not have problems. I.e. Approach the vehicle from the passenger-side - it is a novel concept that really works.

Instead, in states like Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia, the officer approaches the driver-side window with his ass out in traffic. As sad as it sounds, if a cop issuing me a ticket did that and got ran over, I would make my appearance in court figuring he probably won't show.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Me too.

Maybe if the morons issuing the ticket would wise up like the CHP in California, they would not have problems. I.e. Approach the vehicle from the passenger-side - it is a novel concept that really works.

Instead, in states like Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia, the officer approaches the driver-side window with his ass out in traffic. As sad as it sounds, if a cop issuing me a ticket did that and got ran over, I would make my appearance in court figuring he probably won't show.

OK OK, i know i know that wouldn't be a laughing matter, but dammit that got me laughing for some goofy reason!!
    :