Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default laser(infrared) abosrbing film maybe?

Ok, I was searching on the net for a film that might be able to be applied to the headlight of a vehicle instead of veil. The reason is because veil is hard to apply and from what I can tell does not have a very long life. I found a company that is supposed to make such a film. The company is called CPFilms, I have contacted someone there but I had to leave a message so I don't know if they are still making the film or not.

The patent information is as follows:

PET window film coated with a 6-micron layer containing 30% to 60% by weight infrared-absorbing nanoparticles retains heat while transmitting visible light. CPFilms in Martinsville Va., began producing IR-absorbing films three years ago for car windows in the Far East. It has since extended the technology to its Vista architectural window films with different levels of visible-light transmission. CPFilms' parent company, Solutia, has patents on IR-absorbing layers of lanthanum hexaboride, antimony-tin oxide, and indium-tin oxide. Use of these metals in nanoparticle form is CPFilms' development (U.S. Patent 6663950, 2003). Tel: (276) 627-3000 * CPFilms Inc. World's largest manufacturer of solar control and safety window films for commercial, residential and automotive applications. Precision Coatings on Film

patent number 6663950

I have to try to find this stuff and if I can get my hands on it, it might be an alternative to veil for people who do not want to apply it. From looking at the patent it allows about 70% light output while absorbing at least 35% infreared light. Does anyone know what percentage infrared veil absords?

Experienced

Default Re: laser(infrared) abosrbing film maybe?

You are very lucky that you live in states.

Radar Fanatic

Ok, that lady I talked to gave me a call back, and she told me what product line to look at. I'll have to look at it tomorrow and maybe get some( you can get it at local stores). Maybe later in the year alpine or proudNMA and me can do some testing on it if I like how it looks and seems promising.

Also I have found another company that makes the film out of Canada, they report about 85% absorption of infrared at 900nm while having over 70% transmittance of visible light. I shot them and e-mail asking where I can buy it. I'll give them a call tomorrow about seeing if I can get my hands on some if they don't answer my e-mail.

Radar Fanatic

UPDATE:

I just talked to the company out of Canada, they are going to send me a sample of the film for testing. When I get it I can really do some testing and see how effective it is. If it is as good as they say it is, that would be great. Imagine covering your headlights in the stuff and not having to worry about how you brush it on or anything. And it should be much more durable.

It is interesting to me that no one seems interested in the film even though it could potentially be a great passive laser defense.

Good Citizen

My biggest concern for fim would be that it seems like it would probably only work in select situations.

1: Headlights without a lot of complex surfaces for the film to form over.

2: Headlights that were in excellent shape or almost new. If your headlights had some surface imperfections like rock chips, air bubbles would get caught underneath and there would be no way to get them out unless you figured out a way to fill the surface first.

My other big concern is the light transmission...even with bright HID's cutting down ~30% of your headlights IMO seems like it could have a pretty noticable impact. I see a lot of people with tinted headlights and tails (just for aesthetics) and it always seems the light output (like following them at night) is very diminished.

But if it was cheap, easy to install and easily removable it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Radar Fanatic

1. Use a heat gun, You could easily from it over the headlights.

2. For weathered lights I would first use the 3m headlight restoration kit, not only would it help with light output but also give you a perfect surface to put the film on.

Looking at the specs again for visible light (400-700nm) it looks light light output varies from 25-30% blockage. Think about car tint, when you get the lightest stuff, you are still blocking at least 50% of the light.

Another idea is had is to apply the film to a set of clear headlight covers. And if it works really good, I can actually get my hands on the dye that they use in the film and manufacture custom light covers for vehicles that can be built to block out just the 904nm laser.

But first off I want to get that sample and test it out.

Radar Fanatic

Ok, one more update, I just got a email back form the Canadian Company. They will ship out the sample. So I will have some information for you guys when I get it.

Yoda of Radar

This is very promising! I too have concerns about getting it to form to complex contoured headlight housings, because that is exactly the boat I am in.

It does seem like this would be a potentially better option than Veil, in that it is longer lasting and more protective of the lens.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post
    It is interesting to me that no one seems interested in the film even though it could potentially be a great passive laser defense.
    It's not a lack of interest on my part so much as "Let's see it in action" and find out what the unforseen minuses are.

Old Timer

Let us know how this turns out! This sounds most interesting - and promising!

---

lan, my current concern:

HIR , (H)alogen (I)nfra-(R)ed, headlight technology utilizes just that - the wasted heat, in the form of IR, to further increase the output of the bulb above that of conventional halogens.

My question, thus, is two-fold:

(1) Is this IR-film "one-way"

and

(2) If not - i.e. if it will trap heat within the headlamp housing - what the implications to this might be. Take, for example, the C6s, whose headlight housing's aero/protective/cosmetic "overlens" has been known to crack due to heat management issues.....