Newcomer

Default Does PhotoBlocker spray increase your laser visibility?

My second post (after my "Hello" vent in the newby forum), so I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched, but couldn't find a similar thread).

PhotBlocker spray causes increased reflectivity off the license plate so as to overexpose photos taken with visible-light, flash-linked red-light and speed cameras. But it seems logical to me that if more light is reflected, then that increases the plate's laser reflectivity too.

Has anyone experimented to see by how much the jamming distance of a laser-jammer is degraded (as in, increased) when paired with a PhotoBlocker-spray-treated license plate?

Also, I saw a post yesterday where someone use BOTH Laser Veil AND either PhotoBlocker spray on their license plats. Seems like those two products cannot possibly work harmoniously - they aim to achieve opposite goals.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Does PhotoBlocker spray increase your laser visibility?

Photo blocker spray does not work in the first place

But in general it WILL increase the laser visibility

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

I agree with the statement that Photoblocker spray will not work. It might work 1 out of 1000 encounters -- maybe.

The only way you could reliably beat red light cameras would be to use no license plate (illegal), ride around with a new car dealer plate on all the time (you'll get caught) or get a plate flipper (also illegal).

Running red lights is unsafe, too. Better to get some sort of GPS linked database to keep you alert and remind you not to run the light.

If you run a red light and injure / kill someone, you're looking at time for sure.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
    I agree with the statement that Photoblocker spray will not work. It might work 1 out of 1000 encounters -- maybe.

The only way you could reliably beat red light cameras would be to use no license plate (illegal), ride around with a new car dealer plate on all the time (you'll get caught) or get a plate flipper (also illegal).

Running red lights is unsafe, too. Better to get some sort of GPS linked database to keep you alert and remind you not to run the light.

If you run a red light and injure / kill someone, you're looking at time for sure.
    I don't run red lights. Ever.

Here in Montgomery County, MD, there's a profusion of photo-radar speed cameras. For example, there's a stretch on Connecticut Ave (a major boulevard - three lanes in each direction) in Bethesda where - for some unknown reason - the posted speed limit is 30. Anything over 40, you get a letter in the mail with a $40 ticket. No rational person would be driving below 45 mph on that road, and it's VERY easy to not be mindful that's you've entered a speed-trap.

I've been "caught" three times in the last six months. It's infuriating. Fortunately, by state law, there are no "points" involved (the cameras capture only the license plate, so the licensing authorities have no way of establishing the identity of the driver), and insurance companies are barred from raising rates based on speed-camera infractions. I haven't gotten a "real" speeding ticket in 20 years.

Nearby D.C. also has speed cameras, but the fines are much higher.

I've ordered a 9500ci, and hope the GPS warning-system is adequate.

As to whether Photoblocker spray works: You guys are much more experienced than I am, and I take what you write seriously. However, I HAVE read a fair amount of independent evidence that Photoblocker is effective. No, not 100%, and it certainly won't work against non-flash-based speed-cameras or speed cameras that use infra-red flash. But the cameras here in Mont. County use visible-light flashes.

Can you refer me to a site that provides counter-evidence?