Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Would you be interested in this device?

I have developed a way to nearly 100% block all photo enforcement systems that is legal in every state (as far as I know - I've been reading for weeks). It does not involve coating or putting anything on the license plate, or obscuring it in any manner. It is also completely invisible to the human eye - a cop following behind you would have no idea that you have any countermeasure system in place.

It is sort of complicated to have manufactured however, and I'm debating whether or not it would be worth it. I'm filing a provisional patent application shortly so I'm moving into the market research phase. After I file the patent, I can be more open to how exactly I'm doing it, but first I want to determine if I can even be profitable.

You would need one for the back of your car and one for the front if you wanted to protect both sides. It would require less work than a laser jammer to install, but about the same as hardwiring a radar detector. This is something totally different than the passive photo defense systems out there right now, and you won't even be able to get a picture of the plate from directly behind it. Also, a movie camera will not be able to get a picture of the plate either.

Basically, I want to know whether or not it's worth it to go ahead and sink money and time into developing this. It is an active electronic device, and thus would cost more than the $30-50 passive countermeasures that are out there right now. If I had to guess, I would place it in the $75-100 range (though possibly as low as $50-75) depending on several quotes from contract manufacturers I'm waiting on.

I have a working prototype built right now, but still have a couple of issues to overcome (overheating, etc). I'm pretty sure I can overcome them but just don't know if it's worth it.

Would you be interested in such a device?
    Last edited by computerpro3; 03-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Would you be interested in this device?

It sounds really interesting. Would I buy one? Probably not.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    It sounds really interesting. Would I buy one? Probably not.

At what pricepoint would you consider purchasing one? Or is it more a matter of photo enforcement just not being an issue in your area? Would you be more compelled to buy it if a discount was given for buying 2 - for example, a $100 package for total car protection?

Thanks for the feedback.

Speed Demon

If it REALLY obscured video cameras, I'd probably get a couple if for no other reason than to obscure side of the road vids while I GENTLY BEND the law.

Your price point doesn't sound ridiculously high; I'd just need more information once you've protected your IP.

Newcomer

A little more information would be helpful in making a decision as to whether or not to invest in your device

Speed Demon

its sounding good so far..if it was 100 bucks or less, i would prolly purchase it, if i had visual proof it worked a good percentage of the time..even jammers can get a punchthrough so surely this thing has one..but keep up the good work and i wish you luck..remember my username and PM when your ready to sell or test..

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
    At what pricepoint would you consider purchasing one? Or is it more a matter of photo enforcement just not being an issue in your area? Would you be more compelled to buy it if a discount was given for buying 2 - for example, a $100 package for total car protection?

Thanks for the feedback.
    The pricepoint isn't the issue. We only have a few RLC's in our area, and I don't run red lights so I don't think I need one yet. If more pop up I may look deeper into some type of camera alert system or camera blocking system, but not right now. I'm also very particular about what the exterior of the car looks like. If I can easily tell something was added on - I wouldn't like that.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    The pricepoint isn't the issue. We only have a few RLC's in our area, and I don't run red lights so I don't think I need one yet. If more pop up I may look deeper into some type of camera alert system or camera blocking system, but not right now. I'm also very particular about what the exterior of the car looks like. If I can easily tell something was added on - I wouldn't like that.
    It blocks photo speed cameras too, both flash types. As for the exterior of the car, if I can overcome the overheating issue, the electronics will be embedded in a license plate frame. If not, it will be a small rectangular electronics box that is mounted above your license plate (looks similar to the ZR3 shifter). I'm really trying to make it fit in a frame, but finding heatsinks that can dissipate enough heat and that are slim enough to be on the back of a plate frame is difficult. I could have the heatsinks custom made, but there goes my profit margin.

Radar Fanatic

Then that doesn't sound like a problem. The only thing that is holding me back from getting one (if available) is the lack of RL or speed cameras in my area - but I'm not complaining!

Experienced

If you've got a workable defense against all types of cameras, I see no reason why you shouldn't rush to patent and market your item once you clear out the bugs. If it works, you could be sitting on a goldmine with the increasing prevalence of camera-based ticketing.