Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default My brief KU encounter!

I hope that I am posting this in the right forum and if not oh well. Anyways I was at a gas station filling up when I over heard a helicopter flying above. Now a few things first. One it was night time. Second this is the following configuration of my bel pro rx65 at the time of the encounter:

X band = ON
    K band = ON
    KA band = USA
    POP = ON
    Laser = ON
    KU = ON
    SWS = ON
    Meter = Threat

Ok now as the helicopter approached I saw a level 1 KU band on the right hand side where X band levels normally are. As the helicopter was right smack dab over the station it went to a level 3 and as soon as it passed it went off.

I just thought I would let everyone know of my experience. Any comments or other experiences are most welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in adavance!

-------------------- UPDATE! ----------5/28/2006---------------

Since I want to avoid a double post and this important topic being locked I will just edit this one. I was at the same gas station I was at when I first encounted the KU alert w/ the helicopter. Today or I should say tonight I got a level 1 alert before I moved only this time there was no helicopter that I could see. So I am thinking if I keep getting this everytime then it must be something near the gas station that triggers it, but I have disabled SWS, POP, and X & K band since I know for 100% they are not used in my area at least only KA and I think LASER but no confirmation on that! I'll keep posting my encounters![/b]

Power User

hmmm wonder if Ku can detect airborn VASCAR... wishfull thinking... :wink:

Professional

VASCAR doesn't emit anything. It is just a speed measurement between those white lines.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Radar Fanatic

vascar is a stop watch! so no radar....

it could have been a sensor to help it land... or to detect there are no people around it on take off!

Professional

Don't some cell phones and satellite equipment cause Ku-band falses? It's possible something in the chopper's avionics was causing it if that's the case.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    It's possible something in the chopper's avionics was causing it if that's the case.
    Somthing that chopper had made it false. Cell phones with the rx65 usually give a laser false (from personal experience) but Im guessing somthing was emiting along the KU frequency.

Power User

I was just joking, I did not think the copper was using VASCAR, but if any police radio etc equipment would trigger a Ku alert, wishfull thinking that I could similarly detect Florida troopers using airborn VASCAR, flying above. :wink:

Administrator

Default Chopper

as the helicopter approached I saw a level 1 KU band on the right hand side
    Well I am sure that it wasn't a traffic radar unit in the helicopter that was setting your detector.

When Aircraft speed enforcement is done, they use timing devices. Most common is a stop watch
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Good Citizen

It was probably his aircraft's Radar Altimeter which measures his altitude above terrain.

Advanced Member

I would turn off SWS...Simply there are no SWS transmitters in exsistence. Also there are no Ku guns in exsistence in the USA, so you can turn that off...the alert you got was a false

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96