Newcomer

Default Newbie Questions...

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions to ask.

First, today I was driving down a city road with a big f-350 in front of me. The truck turned his blinker on and I slowed down, but I found myself tailgating him (not on purpose, really). Anyway, when the truck pulled away from me, my detector (rx65) goes crazy and registers Ka 7 and 8 (instant-on), and I see a police motorcycle in the opposing lane. I wasn't speeding, but it was a scare. Because I was so close to the truck in front of me, did this block the radar detector's "eyes"?

Also, what is meant by low powered radar? Is that similar to the type of signal the road signs emit, because my detector only goes off when it's in sight on a straight road. I've detected radar from up to 4 miles away (Ka mostly); would the detection range differ on a "low powered" radar? If so, how much?

Thanks guys,
    Bill

Speed Demon

a F-350 is pretty big so probably was blocking... but you would think you'd get some reading with bouncing of radar signals. :?

Speed Demon

Radar cannot travel through the truck so yes it was blocked. Depending on what you drive and where the RD is it wasnt able to "see" the waves.

LEO's have the capability of turning their power down, cant exactly say how much vs. detecting it cause it depends on how low they have it set.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Newbie Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by dollarrbill
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions to ask.
    Welcome to the forum, lots of good information here...

First, today I was driving down a city road with a big f-350 in front of me. The truck turned his blinker on and I slowed down, but I found myself tailgating him (not on purpose, really). Anyway, when the truck pulled away from me, my detector (rx65) goes crazy and registers Ka 7 and 8 (instant-on), and I see a police motorcycle in the opposing lane. I wasn't speeding, but it was a scare. Because I was so close to the truck in front of me, did this block the radar detector's "eyes"?
    Yes, solid objects (i.e., trucks) can block the radar signal...

Also, what is meant by low powered radar? Is that similar to the type of signal the road signs emit, because my detector only goes off when it's in sight on a straight road. I've detected radar from up to 4 miles away (Ka mostly); would the detection range differ on a "low powered" radar? If so, how much?
    Detection range would definitely be less on low-powered radar. Some radar guns have a "range" knob that can be turned up or down. When turned down lower, targets have to be closer for a reading, and the output power of the gun is reduced. It is difficult to say exactly how much range you would lose, that is dependant on the radar band, the model of gun being used, your proximity to the gun, etc etc...

Jim

Radar Fanatic

If you're in a small car, mount the detector just below the tint band. Large metal objects (F350) can/will block radar and laser signals, so mount to give the detector a view through more windsheilds ahead of you.

Newcomer

I'm confused. I bought a report at radartest.com and Craig suggested not mounting the detector high. However, based on the member pictures and the Valentine 1 website, mounting higher seems to be more popular thing. What are the pros/cons of mounting higher?

Pictures of my detector are at photos.yahoo.com/rt10_200

Thanks for the information,
    Bill

Advanced Member

First, it is a good idea to follow manufacturer's recommendations:

Passport x50 and BEL RX-65:
    "Using the Windshield Mount, mount your Passport level, and high enough on your front windshield to provide a clear view of the road from the front and rear."

Valentine One:
    "Valentine One works best when mounted high in the windshield, and toward the center between the windshield pillars. Use your choice of windshield or visor mounts"

However, here's the different points of view on this:

High mounting

-Good for Radar: higher mounting gives you more "line-of-sight" with the targeting radar. If you do the math, one foot higher mounting gives you an few tenths of a mile extra, maybe even more than 1/2 mile. Tthe average driver isn't likely to notice such a small difference in range, but it might help out in a pinch (detecting brief instant-on at long range)

-Good for laser targeting vehicles ahead, since it can "see" through their windows better etc...

-Bad for laser targeting you, since it is mounted further from the aiming point (front plate).

Low mounting

-Not as good for radar, but you might not be giving up too much.

-Good for Laser Targeting you: closer to the aiming points(front plate/lights). More likely to give a laser warning when you are targeted, and you'll have time to slow down if they don't get a reading on the first shot, if you have a dark vehicle, are using VEIL, etc.

-Not as good for laser targeting vehicles ahead, since it can't see through their windows as well

In my humble opinion, as far as mounting and performance goes:
    -If you don't have a Blinder, and have a dark car/VEIL, then mount low, you'll have a good chance of geting a warning when you're being hit and can slow down before he gets a reading.
    -If you have a Blinder then you covered for laser pretty well. You might as well mount the detector high to maximize radar range.
    -If you have a light-colored car that can be easily targeted by laser, no blinder or VEIL, then mount high, and you might have a better chance of getting lucky with a prior warning when a vehicle ahead is targeted.

Something else to keep in mind: if you mount TOO low then you could obscure the rear radar or laser sensor on your detector.

Good Citizen

When mounting low, make sure it is not obstructed by your windshield wipers, and take a walk out back and crouch down, and make sure when you are about eye level with your trunk, you can still see your RD (so your RD has line-of-sight out your rear window still!).

I'd think what I just said is common sense, but hey.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    When mounting low, make sure it is not obstructed by your windshield wipers, and take a walk out back and crouch down, and make sure when you are about eye level with your trunk, you can still see your RD (so your RD has line-of-sight out your rear window still!).
    Other than the rear laser detection on the X50 (which by then it's probably too late!), there's no real benefit to seeing out the back window, is there? With a V1 I can see that, but an X50 with no rear antenna.... not so sure.