Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Colorado Radar Jamming Illegal July 1

"Beginning July 1, it will be against the law to use or sell radar-jamming devices. Violators face a $1,000 fine and a year in jail. The law is similar to those in Oklahoma, Utah, California, Minnesota, Virginia and Washington, D.C."

I'd have to see the actual text of the law - but my guess is that this would include laser.

Story at http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...14/detail.html

Radar Fanatic

Radar jamming is already illegal, nationwide.

Newcomer

From what I can gather, if the law is similar (in intent) to these other states as stated, it will basically include any device or technology used to interfere with law enforcement efforts at measuring the speed of a motor vehicle.

"Interfere" seems to be the key term with some of the wordings that I've come across. I presume items such as VEIL or plate covers would fall under some of the individual state laws as technically being illegal.

You can add Colorado to the growing list of states taking a harsher stance.

Advanced Member

What is the exact law purposed????VEIL and Lasershield are ment to deal will only Laser, not radar.

After reading more about the law it does not deal with laser jammers or laser counter measures...

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

SECTION 1. Part 14 of article 4 of title 42, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to read:

42-4-1415. Radar jamming devices prohibited - penalty.
    (1) (a) NO PERSON SHALL USE, POSSESS, OR SELL A RADAR JAMMING DEVICE.

(b) NO PERSON SHALL OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE WITH A RADAR JAMMING DEVICE IN THE MOTOR VEHICLE.

(2) (a) FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "RADAR JAMMING DEVICE" MEANS ANY ACTIVE OR PASSIVE DEVICE, INSTRUMENT, MECHANISM, OR EQUIPMENT THAT IS DESIGNED OR INTENDED TO INTERFERE WITH, DISRUPT, OR SCRAMBLE THE RADAR OR LASER THAT IS USED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES AND PEACE OFFICERS TO MEASURE THE SPEED OF MOTOR VEHICLES. "RADAR JAMMING DEVICE" INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO DEVICES COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS "JAMMERS" OR "SCRAMBLERS".

(b) FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "RADAR JAMMING DEVICE" SHALL NOT INCLUDE EQUIPMENT THAT IS LEGAL UNDER FCC REGULATIONS, SUCH AS A CITIZENS' BAND RADIO, HAM RADIO, OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT.

(3) RADAR JAMMING DEVICES ARE SUBJECT TO SEIZURE BY ANY PEACE OFFICER AND MAY BE CONFISCATED AND DESTROYED BY ORDER OF THE COURT IN WHICH A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION IS CHARGED.

(4) A VIOLATION OF SUBSECTION (1) OF THIS SECTION IS A CLASS 2 MISDEMEANOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE, PUNISHABLE AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 42-4-1701 (3) (a) (II) (A).

(5) THE PROVISIONS OF SUBSECTION (1) OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY TO PEACE OFFICERS ACTING IN THEIR OFFICIAL CAPACITY.

SECTION 2. Effective date - applicability. This act shall take effect July 1, 2005, and shall apply to offenses committed on or after said date.

What would "Jackie Childs" the attorney on Seinfeld say about this situation.."The is egregious,outlandish...preposterous! :x " 8)

Good Citizen

But this time they didnt include the famous IL artice about all equipement that is capable of interfering with laser... 8) So IR parking sensors are ok

Radar Fanatic

How are they going to confiscate your Veil? 8)

Advanced Member

Not going to stop me at all sorry CO but that law doesn't scare me since they have no idea what VEIL or LaserSheild is....They just seem to think all jammers are the RMR crap bring it on CO police

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96