Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wouldn't u like to know
    Posts
    2,016

    Default VA detector penalty???

    OK so i know all about RDD and break light checks ect. what i am wondering is what is the penalty for a VA resident if they are cught using a radar detector. I belive that it is just a fine and they let you keep your RD but if you are a VA resident are there worse punishments?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    eastern texas
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    do you have an sti or do you use the RX65? you've probably heard this before but get an sti if there illegal in your area. but anyways i think they can confiscate it, but you will get it back no matter what.

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wouldn't u like to know
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Well the Sti is undetectable but so are all the other top 5 detectors becuase in VA they don't have spectre 3. Anyway I am not asking for me i am asking for a friend as i said before i know all about how one gets caught i don't care about that what i want ot know is IF you get caught and you are a VA resident what happens?
    thanks

  4. #4
    Don
    Don is offline
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    114

    Default

    just keep a self adressed enveolpe in your car if you get pulled over with your rd just slide it in the envelope remember it is illegal to open someone elses mail.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wouldn't u like to know
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Guys i not really intrested in not getting caught this isn't for me. A friend wants me to ask what would happen if he got caught (worst case). I know all about hidding a RD. Believe me i doubt they would ever catch me but i not the one using the RD in VA.
    thanks
    clever thought on the mial thought, not sure about they legality but seems like it might work.

  6. #6
    Professional
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Carter, here is the simple answer to your question...

    No, they can't take your RD, because you don't have to show up for court (you can prepay)

    Penalities vary from county to county. Here, in Henrico (west of richmond, it is as follows...
    Possess/Use radar detector. $40.00 for the ticket and $61.00 for court cost, for the grand total of $101.00

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wouldn't u like to know
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asianfire
    Carter, here is the simple answer to your question...

    No, they can't take your RD, because you don't have to show up for court (you can prepay)

    Penalities vary from county to county. Here, in Henrico (west of richmond, it is as follows...
    Possess/Use radar detector. $40.00 for the ticket and $61.00 for court cost, for the grand total of $101.00
    so they will never take your detector, even if you live in VA?
    thanks

  8. #8
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Quote Originally Posted by asianfire
    Carter, here is the simple answer to your question...

    No, they can't take your RD, because you don't have to show up for court (you can prepay)

    Penalities vary from county to county. Here, in Henrico (west of richmond, it is as follows...
    Possess/Use radar detector. $40.00 for the ticket and $61.00 for court cost, for the grand total of $101.00
    so they will never take your detector, even if you live in VA?
    thanks
    They can take it, but it is extremely rare that they would when they catch someone. The reason they don't take the detector is because it is a pre-payable offense. If the LEO wanted to make more work for him or herself the LEO could confiscate it as evidence and it would be returned to you at court. But the LEO writing the serial # on the ticket and returning the detector to you at the scene is good enough evidence. I think the last thing they want is more work and more people in court then need to be there. The fine for getting caught is $40 everywhere in the state, the processing fee for pre-paying (same amount as court fee if you go to court) varies slightly between different VA localities. The processing fee runs somewhere around $55 to $61.

  9. #9
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SouthEastern,Virginia
    Posts
    154

    Default

    My ticket here in Va Beach was $99 all said and done. The officer had visually seen the detector in a vehicle that I had just gotten. The Officer did record the Serial # and returned the unit. This was slightly over 3 yrs ago.

  10. #10
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RadarHell
    My ticket here in Va Beach was $99 all said and done. The officer had visually seen the detector in a vehicle that I had just gotten. The Officer did record the Serial # and returned the unit. This was slightly over 3 yrs ago.
    That's how they do it almost all the time. I think you would have to be a real a$$hole and also be getting a ticket for a mandatory court appearance charge (like reckless driving), then they might confiscate the detector since you will have to go to court anyways for the mandatory court appearance violation. The cop could stand up in front of the judge holding the detector and say "your honor, the defendant was also in possesion of this radar detector at the time I observed the defendant's vehicle blah blah blah blah blah." Would probably make the judge sentence you with a more harsh penalty.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IE - New speed vans lead to surge in penalty points
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
  2. Hyberdad - Traffic violation penalty hike likely
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
  3. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
  4. Penalty for Laser Jammer in Utah?
    By Crazy Eddie in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
  5. Go 45 mph on GA 316, or risk $2,000 penalty
    By awesometbn in forum Local & Regional Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 10:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •