Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default turning pop on will it affect the ranger on k and ka

I was just wondering if i turn pop on my rx65 will this affect the range or the quickeness of k and ka

Lead Foot

supposedly off actually makes it faster and better

Radar Fanatic

Having POP on tends to cause more false alerts. If you turn it off you will be much happier. I've also heard that if will increase your K and KA scanning time.

Professional

Pop iz ****...

Professional

Wuz upz--Popz iz betta offz

Lead Foot

While I don't know exactly how the RD software works inside the device and how POP detection works at the lowest level, I'd be willing to bet that disabling any feature that requires the RD doing work will give you at the very least a slight performance gain.

Especially since POP requires detection of short quick bursts and that definitely can lead to more falses and POP cannot (read: should not) be used in issuing citations, I'd turn it off.

I don't use POP because when my RD goes off, unless I'm 110% sure it's a false, I immediately react even if the strength is only 1-2 bars. Frequent POP falses will desensitize you to the RD itself and reduce your reaction time, which could be the difference between getting a ticket and not. Your real danger is Instant-On and Laser rather than POP.

It might sound ridiculous but I think it's really true that every millisecond counts.

Newcomer

The POP Alert on the 9500i scares the crap out of me. Almost to where I slam on the breaks and sideswipe 5 other cars.

Ok not that serious, but it is somewhat unsettling. Now that I know that it doesn't really help the RD I think I'll be disabling it on mine as well.

Radar Fanatic

Lead Foot

I've never used POP on the 9500i, now I'm insanely curious to what atrocious sound it made for you hate it that much.. haha

Newcomer

It's kinda of a Full Blasted K Band Alert with the woman screaming POP ALERT. It usually scares my passengers too.

For some reason I get a lot of POP ALERTS in Central Florida. I must get between 3-4 a week. I never really see any officers with the Alert, I'm assuming that they are false.