Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V1 in Ontario

Newcomer

Default V1 in Ontario

Hey guys,

Just came back from my trip in NY. V1 worked amazing, but one encouter with laser nearly killed me but the rabbit ahead got hit... It was around a blind corner on I90 and my V1 didn't go off...

But anyway, to the point... I'm in Ontario and I'm so tempted to test it out here but I'm a lil chicken that I'm gonna get caught with Spectre. What do you guys think? Any creative mounting ideas where I could conceal it the best and be able to turn it off real quick?

horn????

Yoda of Radar

Just excercise caution and you will be fine. Put it somewhere in your vehicle that makes the least view outside, to people in other cars.

No hanging cords

Advanced Member

If you get caught you'll get a ticket for about $175.00 and lose that V1 which cost you $399.00 US
    which works out to about $480.00 Canadian... :shock:

Be Careful......Lots of Spectres in Ontario......

Personally I would not risk it.....unless you can cough up $1400.00 and have Roy Zegers Stealth your V1...... :wink:

Advanced Member

As long as you keep your eyes open and dont cruise too much by yourself you will be okay.

The 407 is heavily patrolled and I know one person has been caught there driving at night by themselves(not too smart). Some one else on this board got caught in Peel at a traffic lite by an unmarked car.

But I think the Spectre threat is over estimated generally. In the GTA traffic is so dense and there are so many falses I find it hard to believe that they can effectively use the Spectre.

Remember the Spectre only tells them that a RD is operating in the area and they turn the unit and adjust the gain to get a directional feel where you are.

I've rolled up behind OPP units and flicked the RD on to see if I create any extra movement in the car. Of course I;ve had other traffic around me to hide me.

Good Citizen

When I have my Bel (*cough*) it's mounted up by my rear view mirror. No hanging wires.

V1 has a remote display though. So you can mount it by the rear view mirror, put the remote display down by the wheel, and then turn off the light on the main unit. No one will know the difference...

Yoda of Radar

I would avoid using a concealed display. If you conceal the unit on your person they cannot search you for an RD in Ontario. With a concealed display it will take that many more seconds to hide. However, a V1 has a lot of lights and is too obvious behind. Make sure someone following won't see those arrows.

Newcomer

Are you sure about that? I heard that story about putting it in your pocket, but if they suspect it's in your pocket I'm sure they will search you as well.

Advanced Member

They can only search your person if they have proabable cause of a weapon.

I've also been told that some keep an envelope handy that they have mailed to themselves. If stopped thay slip the rd into the envelope and seal it. The cop does not have the right to open your mail.

Never had to test this yet

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ryee
    Are you sure about that? I heard that story about putting it in your pocket, but if they suspect it's in your pocket I'm sure they will search you as well.
    Make sure they can't obviously see it as a detector. Of course cop can say, "hey, you smell like dope... you don't have dope on you now do you?, Oh lookey here, a radar detector!" You can fight it to the Supreme Court if you want and win but man it might be too much trouble.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    I've also been told that some keep an envelope handy that they have mailed to themselves. If stopped thay slip the rd into the envelope and seal it. The cop does not have the right to open your mail.

Never had to test this yet
    I am not certain of that trick. I think it only applies once posession of the package has been transferred to Canada Postes.

So if you see blue lights, FLOOR IT, and get to the nearest mailbox!!