Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Tint

Newcomer

Default Automotive Tint

I was wondering what negative effects tint would have on rear detection? I have my car currently tinted 5% all around (yes, not legal), and was curious about this question.

I typically have my detector mounted up around the rear view mirror as well.

Thx.

Professional

Default Re: Automotive Tint

Quote Originally Posted by SheeB
    I was wondering what negative effects tint would have on rear detection? I have my car currently tinted 5% all around (yes, not legal), and was curious about this question.

Thx.
    if you have a valentine one, dont worry. my rear window is 5% limo tint and rear detection is AWESOME... you'll pick up a cop that is behind you shooting radar ~3 miles away. it is THAT damn good.

if you have another detector other than the valentine one, i would definately worry about rear detection.

Newcomer

Well I have a Bel top of the line from about 3 years ago (985 maybe?) and have hesitated to upgrade due to the fact I am in Canada and Spectre is bigtime here in Ontario...

Professional

I don't know what to tell ya then, since the last test done on rear detection was completed SEVERAL years ago... since the v1 ran away with the accolades, no one has tested rear detection since then.

if i were a betting man, like pete rose, i would say that with 5% tint on your rear window, i doubt you would pick up any advanced alert on radar from behind. in my humble opinion of course.

Thx.
    It depends on what the tint is made from. Some tint is fine some not so fine in that it is made from a material that reflects and blocks radar waves. If you feel this may be a problem buy a remote mount detector from Bell or one of the other high end remote detector companies... 8)

Good Citizen

I have a 'glarestrip' across the top of my windshield, it is 5%. I have noticed NO difference in detection, but this was all done at a false K spot. Would the same thing go for Ka?? I got a V1 ( 3.825)

thanks

- jordan

Old Timer

Thx.
    You will be fine on rear detection. Radar reflects off of objects and you will get advanced warning of an officer approaching from the rear. Not as nuch as a frontal radar, but who needs a 2 minutes warning when a cop is creeping up on you at 10 mph?

Good Citizen

You will DEF. be okay with you detector and tint. I have used both (x50 and V1) And although the V1 does have a Rear antenna, doesnt mean the X50/other detectors are blind to the rear. I'm going to have to DISAGREE with you on this one brent, other detectors will give you plenty of warning time from a cop coming up on you. You'll be okay with the tint too, i got 5 in the back and get plenty of warning!

- jordan

Lead Foot

As stated above, it all depends on the type of material used in the window tint, however by putting tint that low on your car, you'll run into this problem more often: Cops sneak up on you easier, especially at night due to the drastically reduced lights.

My Pontiac is 10% limo tint (Johnson Window Film's Sillioette ((or however it is spelt)) which is a special kind of film ment for show cars, so it is a lot darker than most other films like Formula One (CP Films) etc.. The JWF film makes it impossible to see in unless there is sunlight hitting the car from the windshield or if there is a light in the car, otherwise its pitch black on the outside and seeing out of it is very hard at night until you get used to it.

and yes my tint is highly ILLEGAL, and due to that reason I have recieved about 8 tickets over the last two years, however lately I haven't recieved any, my guess would be the cops are more interested in non-fix-it-tickets.

Power User

I was doing some testing with a laser rangefinder today and could get a reading out thru the front window but as soon as i shoot it out the side window or rear with metalised tint I got no reading, that also applied for shooting into the rear window from the outside..no alert, open my tailgate and full laser alert.