Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default SML 2005 Tests...Only Ka Band

It is stated "The emphasis of the test was Ka band as it now accounts for 90% of all radar guns..etc"

Maybe I have missed any other threads or posts about what I am going to say...so I apologize if this has been brought up. But there are many other SML 2005 threads here that I thought firing up one soley for this topic would be better.

90% of all police forces use Ka Band radar? Wow, where I live (northern Michigan), it is more like 50-50 (with any edge going to K-band still). So I would have liked to see complete testing done on all three bands.

The tests were pretty thorough on SML testing but they were sometimes hard to follow. I do like the easier-to-read tests done by C&D or Automobile mags, etc.

Thoughts on the "only Ka testing"?

Power User

yes I agree, i feel this years tests arnt as good as previous years.

Professional

Perhaps splitting up the test sessions into one for laser and one for radar is needed to reduce the time on site?

Ed

Advanced Member

Default Re: SML 2005 Tests...Only Ka Band

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    90% of all police forces use Ka Band radar? Wow, where I live (northern Michigan), it is more like 50-50 (with any edge going to K-band still). So I would have liked to see complete testing done on all three bands.
    Same deal in southern MI, some Ka but more K...
    They aren't saying that 90% of police use Ka, they are saying that 90% of new units sold are Ka.

Jim

Lead Foot

I too get way more K band than Ka band. I suspect that K band guns are still much more prevalent especially with smaller law enforcement agencies although the trend to replace them with Ka band guns is increasing. Almost completely leaving K band testing out was not a good idea at all especially if you drive through PA on the interstates. If I lived in NJ, Ohio, or another place with a quite a bit of X band still hanging around I would be nervous too. To reduce falsing, a sneaky manufacturer could just cut X band sensitivity way down by default without any official notice. Not including these two false prone bands in the testing leaves out much needed information and ignores them as real threats which they clearly are.

Manufacturer

jbird,

Although Ka may now be the radar gun of choice for new purchases, there are still a tremendous amount of K in operation (as a result of many years of historical acquisition) as well as a significant amount of X in NJ even though their newer guns are Ka. I currently reside in PA and I have yet to see Ka in operation in the state.

In our upcoming comparison, we will try to be as complete as possible with our analysis, so no one (state or collection of drivers) are excluded.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Professional

90% KA photo radar here, 10% old K photo radar. Laser is common too.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    jbird,

Although Ka may now be the radar gun of choice for new purchases, there are still a tremendous amount of K in operation (as a result of many years of historical acquisition) as well as a significant amount of X in NJ even though their newer guns are Ka. I currently reside in PA and I have yet to see Ka in operation in the state.

In our upcoming comparison, we will try to be as complete as possible with our analysis, so no one (state or collection of drivers) are excluded.

Veil Guy 8)
    Samething in my area Bob LOTS of K band, some X band and VERY little Ka band
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

there is so much laser here in texas

Newcomer

when i drive up to school. from long island, through jersey and pennsylvania and back in to new york, i mosty get Ka. most K's and X's are fake. i get lasered once in a while too.