Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Driving back and forth a speed trap to test RD illegal?

Can you get pulled for doing that late at night to test your RD? I spotted 2 marked and 1 unmarked Crown Vic's hiding at some dark and empty strip mall parking lots for end of the month I/O ambush. I was in a driving mood and decided to play with them to test my V1. One of the cops probably recognized my car and decided to pull up behind me and hit me with I/O twice. Then he pulled away after seeing my V1 lighted up like a Christmas tree and I was doing 10 under and not going any faster.

Also, can you get into trouble if you flash the oncoming traffic and alert them of the speed trap ahead?

Thanks!

Professional

I know in florida that you can get in trouble for it

Power User

Pisssssst. Here is a tip. The whole idea is not to draw attention to yourself.

:wink:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by trailtow
    I know in florida that you can get in trouble for it
    Which one: the driving back and forth part or the flashing part?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Pisssssst. Here is a tip. The whole idea is not to draw attention to yourself.

:wink:
    But then I wasn't doing anything illegal or had anything to hide.

Good Citizen

I did this once, but owning a very common car helps. At night I spotted a cop and drove by him three times testing out my RD. The thing is that I drive a black honda civic, so the cop didn't even notice as he probably sees civic after civic driving past him.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by SAfricanCracker
    I did this once, but owning a very common car helps. At night I spotted a cop and drove by him three times testing out my RD. The thing is that I drive a black honda civic, so the cop didn't even notice as he probably sees civic after civic driving past him.
    I can attest to this as well. I've driven by them MORE than three times in my Cavalier. They don't even think twice about it.

Definitely don't do the flashing the headlights thing as that can get you into trouble in several states. But simply driving back and forth through a given area? There is nothing illegal about that unless the area is a known drug dealing or prostitute area. Then you might be suspected of cruising for either a hooker or for drugs.

If you ever got pulled over simply because an officer noticed that you passed his location several times, then by all means be completely honest as to why you were driving back and forth through the area -- never lie to a cop. Simply explain that you were curious as to how well your RD was performing against his radar gun and that it is a hobby of yours. Even ask what radar gun model he is using and mention that you would love to see it if he would be willing to show it to you. Be geeky and curious.

Here is a story for you which isn't quite related to driving back and forth, yet I think is still pretty cool:

Nearly 20 years ago, Gurley Alabama around 3:00am, I was nailed with instant-on K band. The officer gave me my ticket -- he had me dead to rights -- and said that my RD wouldn't begin to alert until at least 1 to 2 seconds after he already had my speed. I replied, "Wanna bet? Pull your car right next to mine so that you can see my radar detector." He did and saw that my trusty Cobra Trapshooter Pro II instantly responded to his I/O blasts.

The Gurley officer was the coolest officer which I have ever met. At 3:00am he was obviously bored out of his mind. Yet I explained my fascination with both radar detectors and with police radar guns and that I thought that both were really neat. I also told him that I would pay my fine as soon as possible and well before the court date so that he wouldn't have to worry about showing up for court since there was nothing which I could contest in court.

Anyway, I asked if I could see his radar gun (a Kustom KR-11 being operated in stationary I/O mode) in operation. He pulled his patrol car back close to the highway, I parked close by, and he showed me his radar gun in operation. He then let me trigger pull on oncoming cars and have fun measuring the speed of approaching vehicles. He also specifically told me to keep the door open on his patrol car so that I could hop out if he needed to pursue the car. That officer and I had fun chit chatting and gunning oncoming cars for around 20 minutes before he decided that this was enough.

It was the best speeding ticket which I ever got and is the only one where I was happy to pay the fine.

Professional

the flashing part

Radar Fanatic

I always flash my lights to warn the oncoming traffic for the speed trap they are shortly approaching, have been doing this for 24-25 years now... this is mostly for the city roads but on the open road I just get on the CB radio and tell everybody the details, location of course, of the speed trap...